What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Correct starter for AEIO-390 front throttle body

Roberson35

I'm New Here
Has anyone ever installed an ERZ-8011 (Hartzel/Kelly Starter) on and AEIO-390 with the throttlebody installed on the front side of the oil reservoir? This starter unit seems too long to go in smoothly without removing the throttlebody, (or some studs)—so it seems like I need to back up and go with a different unit. Chose this unit because it was one of the three recommended replacements
and it didn’t have an external solenoid. Old unit did not have an external solenoid: Magna flight MZ– 6222. Seemed like the logical choice at the time.

A neighbor loaned me his new Sky tec with the left mounted solenoid, and it seemed to fit much better due largely to the fact that it is a much shorter unit. Obvious solution for me is to trade in the ERZ- 8011 for the left mounted solenoid version. That’s the current plan. But, gonna have to lengthen the cable a bit.

Does anyone have any experience with starters on the engine blocks with the front mounted throttlebody? Any suggestions as to correct model numbers? Sure would like to have one the same size as the Magna Flite with rear electrical lug so I could avoid lengthening the cable.

Back