What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Anti-Splat Offering!

PerfTech

Well Known Member
.....We at Anti-Splat-Aero are at it again, offering another quality, problem solving new product! The A.S.A. Oil Cooler Shroud. This new product will help simplify the installation of your firewall mounted, or custom installation oil cooler. With this product and an oil cooler shutter you can add full control of air entering to the oil cooler, thus giving the pilot some degree of control over the oil temperatures. No restriction to airflow with this four-inch diameter scat hose adaptor housing, as these will flow 200% more air than the oil cooler will pass. This product also makes the mounting of our oil cooler shutter control a snap. The weight is only 5.1 oz. (a small price to pay for all the added benefits). The dimensions are 9.5” X 4.25” The thickness is .125”. We are now offering this high quality, time saving solution to complement your oil cooler and or cooler shutter installation, by taking the fabrication work out of a great already proven design. Backed with the “Anti-Splat-Aero” name behind it, this can put to rest, fears of flying with your oil temperatures out of range. This and all of our products have been discussed in great depth, with hundreds of posts, comments, questions, answers, and opinions on all of the aircraft forums for Vans RV, and other experimental aircraft. A vast amount of information is available there and makes for some very interesting as well as informative reading. Please have a look at them as well. Give us a try, and, as with all our products and services, if you don’t agree we will cheerfully take it back no questions asked. Thanks, Allan:D

Last edited:
Looks awesome Allan, would you happen to have any pictures of one installed on an aircraft?

Thanks

Looks awesome Allan, would you happen to have any pictures of one installed on an aircraft?

Thanks

...No! Sorry I do not, but we decided to offer this product based on the number
of requests from guys wanting to remote mount their oil coolers. Most have
went to a considerable amount of work trying to construct a composite part that
looks for the most part like our offering. I hope this will help save others this
effort. Thanks, Allan---:D

It looks like it has a cut out template. Is the shroud designed to mount to the cooler or rear baffle?
Thanks

Added Photo

It looks like it has a cut out template. Is the shroud designed to mount to the cooler or rear baffle?
Thanks

...I added a photo that may help explain one suggested install method. The white
piece on material in the photo is just to show one possible configuration, and this
all would bolt to the oil cooler. Hope this helps. Thanks, Allan--:D

Too Late!

Hey Allan. Where was this product 17 years ago when I needed it?! :) All kidding aside, that looks like another ingenious product.

Attachments

• 1F7FC681-1353-4CCD-8235-9A5F7591922D.jpg
    1F7FC681-1353-4CCD-8235-9A5F7591922D.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 386
Oil cooler shroud

Allan

Talk about timing. I just mounted the oil cooler to my firewall. That's exactly what I need.

Last edited:
Judging by the dimensions that airflow systems provides on their website your plenum should fit the the 7 row and 10 row with a little mods. Thanks Allan

It's been a couple of years since this shroud came out, for those who have installed it, how has it held up? I'm looking to install one on my angle valve IO-540 on a 90mph cruise airplane to help my engine oil stay cool in the Texas heat, which is 3/4 of the year.

I currently have this 2 hose shroud for the top of the cooler and want to install a second shroud on the bottom to extract the air out of the cowling and not have it fight with the turbulence in that lower cowling from the hot air coming off the cylinders? My CHTs are good with the engine plenum, just high oil temps. *** 2nd hose to the oil cooler shroud was installed after this picture was taken.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 100
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 103
I currently have this 2 hose shroud for the top of the cooler and want to install a second shroud on the bottom to extract the air out of the cowling and not have it fight with the turbulence in that lower cowling from the hot air coming off the cylinders?

There is no fight with turbulence in the lower cowl. The only point of interest is deltaP across the cooler. To flow more air, either increase pressure on the entry side, or decrease it on the exit side.

In theory, pressure inside the lower cowl is higher than freestream pressure. However, given the large exit typically seen on slow aircraft, there's usually not much difference. So, before attempting to duct the cooler outlet to a location with freestream pressure, first determine the existing pressure inside the lower cowl volume. Any ducting will have parasitic losses, so an exit duct system won't provide an advantage if freestream is only a few inches less.

Real numbers...down in the 90 knot ballpark, lower cowl pressure for any RV is well under 2" H2O. Many are less than 1".

Thank Dan. I hadn't read your reply so we made this and we're going to try this temporary idea to see what change we can get. Just need to seal it and go flight test it. It's was simple enough to do.

Attachments

• 357974154_725734605984795_2437177668123557454_n.jpg
    357974154_725734605984795_2437177668123557454_n.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
HP is irrelevant for a Wilga. It flies because it's so ugly the Earth repels it. :D

I agree 100%, and I used to live on State Road 33 in Clermont !! I told the seller that I know it's ugly and weird BUT I've also seen kids like that at the local Walmart and their parents love them so I know I'll love it :D:D:D

Back