What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA on the AV-30?

riobison

Well Known Member
I installed a new Vac pump last year and now my gyos are showing signs of heading south.

As I'm flying a RV-4 I'm limited for panel space. So to cover both the AH and the DG I'm leaning towards as a minimum, one AV-30 at this time.

Lots of good stuff on here but I'm wondering on how well the AOA works on this unit?

Not much has been mentioned about the AOA on the AV-30

Thanks

Tim

Steve, I think you'll find the AOA is the set of horizontal bars that climb up from the bottom of the screen (right above the letters AOA).

Personally i'd say that indicator is way too small, and way too far out of your line of sight to be useful for its intended purpose. Unless the AV-30 has an audio output that goes along with that AOA indication, it's effectively useless in that gauge.

I have an AV-30 in my RV-6A. The AOA is on the left side of the screen and it makes itself visible during pitch up or down moments. I have found it to be noticeable and great reminder that I am flying at an AOA that requires attention. I use my AV-30 as my primary flying instrument and it is foundational in my scan at all times, so I definitely notice it.

Looking at the video and it is hard to read from that angle, but it does appear to give a lot of warning and appears to go solid 5 to 10 mph before the stall.

How about warnings in steep turns or accelerated stalls etc?

Can this AOA be calibrated?

Anything different from between Flaps and No Flap stall as far as settings or calibration?

I read that there are Aural tones with the AV-30, can that be heard or does it need to be wired into the intercom?

It would be nice if uAvionix could show us a little more in depth review of the AOA?

In replacing my AH and possibly my DG it should be high enough in my panel to be within my scan and of some use.

Thanks
Tim

Take a look at the forums section of flyonspeed.org

There is a lot of information there related to accurately determining and communications AoA information there. As the project has evolved it turns out that it is a lot more complicated than just using angular rate and accelerometer data or differential pressure to determine a solution. My guess is that the AV-30 is a good first order solution and certainly better than not having an AoA at all.

I am not saying that the OnSpeed project is better than other solutions but there is a lot of good information on AoA measurement and testing There and it is presented in an environment that is fully open source and in the hope that it can be used to reduce the number of LOC incidents in GA and experimental aviation.

-larosta

Back