What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Evercoat Rage vs JP202

Between the two does anyone have an preference and why. Thanks all.

Totally different products and purposes.

Rage is a very popular polyester based body filler for used cars. It is wiped on as a thixotropic solid, most commonly to fill a dent.

PPG JP202 is a urethane high build primer-surfacer. It's sprayed on and block sanded back off as the last step before paint, for optical surface flatness.

I use Rage in some applications, but not on my airplane fiberglass or aluminum. Cheap, fast, good, pick any two. Epoxy/micro has better adhesion, but it's not fast.

Generally, urethane primer surfacers are pretty good, and I like PPG products. Shopline is a lower end PPG product, I suspect better than most budget brands.

I like Evercoat Rage for things like hail dents or light hanger rash. When I’m done sanding the filler I’ll spray a couple coats of PPG K36 on it to make sure that I won’t have a ring around it.

I like Evercoat Rage for things like hail dents or light hanger rash. When I’m done sanding the filler I’ll spray a couple coats of PPG K36 on it to make sure that I won’t have a ring around it.

K36 also being a primer-surfacer, basically an upline choice from PPG.

Here's one set of samples from an old peel test in my shop, Evercoat Rage Gold vs West 105 and microballoons on identically prepared aluminum coupons. The Rage always failed with less force, and when it did, it was usually a clean peel from the surface. Epoxy micro required more force, and typically exhibited a cohesive failure rather than adhesive.

As noted previously, Rage has its uses. I like it for leveling low spots in ply surfaces on wood wings, for example. There are better choices for aluminum, and for glass, epoxy on epoxy is always safe.

Attachments

• Filler Test II.JPG
    Filler Test II.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 162
  • Filler Test Pull.JPG
    Filler Test Pull.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Blocked LE.JPG
    Blocked LE.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 141
If you want to spend some money, there is always Cessna Aerodynamic Filler. I was asked once to use that specifically. About 15 years ago it was $100 per quart.

Totally different products and purposes.

Rage is a very popular polyester based body filler for used cars. It is wiped on as a thixotropic solid, most commonly to fill a dent.

PPG JP202 is a urethane high build primer-surfacer. It's sprayed on and block sanded back off as the last step before paint, for optical surface flatness.

I use Rage in some applications, but not on my airplane fiberglass or aluminum. Cheap, fast, good, pick any two. Epoxy/micro has better adhesion, but it's not fast.

Generally, urethane primer surfacers are pretty good, and I like PPG products. Shopline is a lower end PPG product, I suspect better than most budget brands.

Also, there are 3 or 4 different versions of the Rage product and each has somewhat different properties. I am a fan of the Rage product and use it on cars and my planes. I have had no problems with adhesion, though I agree wth Dan that Epoxy will adhere better than polyester in most cases. That said, not sure how much better it is on aluminum, as most epoxy has relatively poor adhesion to aluminum.

For thicker build ups or areas that will see abuse, like the door frames on the 10, I use 3M marine repair filler (vynal ester with chopped F/G strands). Very strong with good adhesion, but much tougher to sand than rage, as it is repair product not a filler product.

Larry

Last edited:
I used to love K36. Used it as a medium build primer on everything. Cured fast, easy to sand and didn't shrink much over time.

Of course, California decided it was too good of a product and outlawed it, so we can't get it here on the left coast.

Bummer.... :(

Back