What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane power shaft shearing

rexbaker

Hey everyone, i have a plane power fly safe alternator on my -6 that I’ve had a continuing problem with. It seems about every 15-30 hours of flying the shear shaft shears. I’m on my third replacement. Anyone had any similar issues or an ideas on a way forward ?

Thanks.

Jim

Do some research..... that unit has a very poor design. I would look at the competition for a rear mounted alternator.

I assume you rotated the alternator prior to installation to insure it rotated easily?
Have you checked that the alternator doesn't hit or rub against anything else causing it to hang up or create some sort of side loading?
Have you removed the drive adapter from the accessory cover & thoroughly inspected it for bushing & gear wear?
Forcing the spline in on installation could cause shear pin damage.

Other brand rear mount alternators have similar drive couplers so changing the brand may not solve your problem either - if it is a drive or mount problem.

Last edited:
Pulled it off today…. No apparent damage to anything else. Nothing was forced. Did not pull the pump pad as I don’t have an extra gasket sitting around. The folks at plane power said it could be an alignment issue within the alternator. Possible verified watching the parts spin around in it while spinning it. The drive doesn’t appear straight in. They said send it in for inspection to rul out the alternator internal alignment.

Back