What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tail beaconX

Python

Hi, I know this topic has probably been covered before but has anyone mounted a uAvioniX tailbeaconX in the rudder on a RV 6 tail dragger ? How does it work ? I’m also a little concerned about using this on a gravel strip ( FOD)
I’ve also heard you could possibly mount them in the wing tip ? Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

I mounted one in the wingtip because I like having synchronized strobes. I fashioned a bracket that puts is about 3" from the outboard rib to which it is secured. I covered the lighted portion with painter's tape. Works great, nothing but good news on the PAPR's I have requested.

Hi, I know this topic has probably been covered before but has anyone mounted a uAvioniX tailbeaconX in the rudder on a RV 6 tail dragger ? How does it work ? I’m also a little concerned about using this on a gravel strip ( FOD)
I’ve also heard you could possibly mount them in the wing tip ? Any suggestions appreciated. Cheers.

Mine is in the rudder on my -6. No issues with FOD yet. I expect the larger issue will eventually be someone walking past it and breaking off an arm, or me accidentally hitting it with the towbar.

I am considering dipping the arms in yellow "plasti-dip" to make them more visible and possibly better protected from the elements or stray gravel.

Wingtip Mounting options

I originally had it in the tail for testing purposes. I had a 3D printed part made to house the rear strobe under the tail. After testing was completed, I returned the tailbeaconX back to the left wingtip.

I tested the tower's radar reception by flying about 25 miles out and performing multiple 360 turns both left and right (during Covid slow days). Asked tower to monitor my 1090 MHz responses to the radar interrogation. No signal losses reported. We have had many subsequent flights in radar controlled airspace, all successful.

The tailbeaconX mounting in my RV9A is similar to Bruno's... see Bruno's post (#14) here: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=194277&page=2

I was concerned about the shadowing effect of the wing ribs/structure, but that little devil blasts away its 250W quite happily and effectively.

My images

Here are images for the temporary displaced rear strobe light with the 3D housing attached to the rear fuselage, as well as the tailbeaconX subsequently housed in the left wingtip of our RV9A.

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 190
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 168
Wingtip

Made a bulkhead spanning from the top to bottom of my wingtip, reports have come back indicating no problem

I am still waffling on what to do.

Ideally I think I would modify the top cap of the rudder and mount it up there on my RV-4. I have already run a set of shielded wires from the instrument panel to aft of the baggage compartment with plenty of wire to get out to the tail. Has anyone seen this done?

I have been in contact with uAvionix about a simple control head...rumor is that something similar to what the beta testers had might be out by the end of the year.

I asked around and could not find an old AV-10 unit available.

Back