What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mistake on aileron spar bumb *** - holes to close

Chrisaviator

I'm New Here
Mistake on aileron spar dumb *** - holes to close

So today was a very productive day and I was wrapping up when I realise that I had used the wrong line to position my aileron nose rib. I initally thought...a simple fix was to replace the spar doublcing plate on the front and move on. So after making a new one, I place the nose rib in place and used the 90 degree drill to get the rib in the correct location. Sucess or so I thought!....nope being the dumb *** that I am, missed that the spar was already drilled and drilled three holes right next to the ones I had drillered earlier. So the rib....all good, doubler all good, but spar has 6 holes instead of 3....and no the minimum gap distance would not apply. They are no 30 holes and the distance on the top one is around 3/32 and 1/8 at the bottom...what to do next, replace the aileron spar ? Any help appreciated...:mad::mad::mad:So dang cross with myself for being so stupid! Pics attached of my mess

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_1548.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1548.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 274
  • thumbnail_IMG_1549.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_1549.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
Chris

I feel your pain the prospect of shipping a new spar to Aus. I can see a few options.
If you’ve got more kits to come, put it aside and ship a new spar with later kits.
Or check with vans and see it’s possible to repair using a second doubler. It may mean removing the flange off the rib and moving it back. To allow of the doubler.
Or make a new spar yourself. If you can get access to a long enough bending brake.
Just treat it as a learning experience. There are thousands of steps in a building a plane and we all make mistakes somewhere along the process.

Regards

Peter

Last edited:
Here's mine!

It's part of the learning experience. Must be a jinxed part, I buggered one up too (by not enough edge distance on the flanges).

A replacement part shouldn't be too expensive, but the shipping is the problem.

If there is a good sheet metal shop near you, or if you have access to a bending brake, you could make a new one locally.

Attachments

• 20220411_173600.jpg
    20220411_173600.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 220
Back