What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Repairman Cert - Good Experience with the FSDO

Kyle Boatright

Well Known Member
I reached out to the Atlanta FSDO a couple of weeks ago via phone and e-mail with the intent of applying for the Repairman Certificate for my RV-10. My messages included asking to get an interview scheduled at the FSDO (which was my understanding of how they have been handling things).

A few days later, I received a reply by e-mail from one of the Airworthiness Inspectors who advised that since the COVID lockdown they have been using a virtual process to issue Certificates. Wow. What a huge convenience compared to making an appointment and taking time off work to make a visit to the Atlanta FSDO office.

Anyway, the inspector was very easy to work with and after a few e-mails back and forth to finalize paperwork, we had a short virtual meeting through Microsoft Teams and he issued the temporary certificate.

I was very pleased at how the process worked.

Anyway, just wanted others to be aware that what was an onerous hurdle has become easier, at least through the Atlanta FSDO.

Spokane FSDO

Also had good experience with Kevin at Spokane FSDO. It was easier to do the paperwork in person than by zoom so I got an appointment at 1:30 pm, got there 10 minutes early and was done by 1:25 pm !!

When I do a certification, I give the applicant a letter of recommendation, all the forms and detailed instructions on how to proceed. He then contacts my FAA Supervisor who completes the process by email. Smooth operation al around.

I just received my repairman’s certificate from the BHM FSDO and it was painless! It all was accomplished by a few emails and one Zoom session!

Easy peasy

Local FSDO wanted repairman’s BEFORE a/w

My local MT FSDO officer sent me a nonconformance letter, stating without my repairman’s certificate I could not legally inspect my plane and write that “I find it safe for operation”- something my DAR required me to write in the logbook (I presume most DARs don’t want to write this themselves for liability reasons.

Anyone else get this FSDO rule?

My local MT FSDO officer sent me a nonconformance letter, stating without my repairman’s certificate I could not legally inspect my plane and write that “I find it safe for operation”- something my DAR required me to write in the logbook (I presume most DARs don’t want to write this themselves for liability reasons.
Anyone else get this FSDO rule?

FAA Order 8130.2j is the "Bible" to Experimental Amateur-Built aircraft certification. Chapter 15-4.b.(3)(b) states:

(3) Verify that aircraft records include a completed statement from the owner that the aircraft has been inspected per part 43, appendix D, or other approved programs, and was found to be in a condition for safe operation. The inspection will help identify any errors made during construction of the aircraft. This statement will support the owner’s inspection and airworthiness statement in block III of FAA Form 8130-6.

Note: There is no requirement for a certificated mechanic to sign off on the inspection. The builder’s signature on FAA Form 8130-6, block III, attests to the airworthiness of the aircraft.

You cannot get the repairman certificate until after the Airworthiness Certificate is issued!

Last edited:
Funny story (to me…)

I was stressing about the repairman’s certificate process and concerned about documenting my activities in the build. I assembled a bankers box of back up material including binders of printed out build photos with descriptions.

The FSDO rep and I emailed back and forth, finally setting up a zoom meeting. After a paperwork completion review, he asked “Did you build this airplane?” I said “Yep”. He said “OK, thats all I need.”

I stared at the bankers box of backup….

..And while you are at it..

Last time I dealt with the FSDO (in person to make appointment after a name change) the Inspector said "While you're here, do you want a drone license?"..I said sure...had to take a short on-line test and brought the certificate with me, and he issued it at the same time. Very simple test/training (less than an hour) for an already-licensed pilot.

Might want to think about getting one whether you think you will need it or not, while you're busy dealing with them. Easy-peasy.

Thanks Mel

Thank you for your clear (emphatic) reply. I am not sure why I was told this by my FSDO.
Cal

Repaiman Certificate

S. Newcomer, the ATL FSDO did my A/W inspection (he built a 6A for his Brother and a & 7 of his own), getting the R/C was a real bonus...:)

After I completed my RV7 I contacted the Atlanta FSDO and the process was great took my building logs with me he has a couple of questions of Hiw I did certain items and it was done in about a half hour

Atlanta has some of the great FAA guys.

It's nice to hear that some FSDOs are actually working with/for people. The DEN FSDO refused to do our AW inspection/certification "because Covid" a year and a half ago and forced us to use a DAR ($1000), but six months later when we arranged for the Repairman Cert they insisted on sending not one but two inspectors to the hangar because they "needed to see the airplane." It would be nice to have some consistency.

I used the LAS FSDO for both my RV10 Airworthiness inspection and my Repairman’s certificate. As soon as the inspector completed the paperwork for my Airworthiness Certificate he asked “Did you fill out the application for the Repairman's certificate.” I replied yes and handed it to him. After a quick read to make sure all was in order he signed it. It was quite painless.

Getting a designee to LAS to do an inspection is difficult and expensive. The FAA is free and far easier to deal with if you did a good job on the build. Plus you will get your Repairman’s certificate signed off the same day.

.... The FAA is free and far easier to deal with if you did a good job on the build......

Unless, of course, as happened to myself and many others, the FSDO flat-out refuses to do it, tells you hiring a DAR is your only option. However.....
about 5 months after I had a DAR inspect/issue the A/W certificate, I made an appointment with the FSDO (OAK) for me to come down and get my repairman's certificate. I was shown into a room, and in walked the FSDO inspector, along with a new-hire trainee - the guy who was my DAR! He looks at me, says to the inspector, "Oh yea, I know him, he built the plane." Inspector asks no questions, goes out to print the paperwork, former DAR and I chat, inspector comes back, I sign the paperwork and leave. Not much simpler than that!

Man I’m envious of you guys. I spent over an hour and a half getting grilled on maintenance procedures and overall power plant knowledge by my FSDO inspector (not the same one who did my AWC) before he signed off on my repairman’s cert. He knew I built the plane so didn’t care much about any airframe related stuff.

Back