What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Done building... now maintaining....

RV6-KPTW

Well Known Member
Hi,

I need to know more.... Can anyone recommend an in-person engine / prop maintenance course / seminar to cover the typical annual and maintenance task requirements?

I love learning things on my own *unless* they involve possibly messing up single items that equate to a third of the value of my RV14.

Thanks

Thanks for that. Signed up. Still looking for a hands on seminar But clearly my google is not strong….

Well, our very EAS (Experimental Aviation of Switzerland) is running some hands-on maintenance courses about once a year, covering engine and prop maintenance…

Whilst I realize this might be a tad outside your geographic zone, I wonder if no similar course is offered by an EAA chapter close to your place?
The alternative being in hiring a knowledgeable A&P (for instance Vic ;)) to demonstrate and explain proper practice and tricks, as applicable to your ship.

Complementary to other resources already noted (especially Vic's books) you might find Mike Busch's work helpful to round out your knowledge:

https://resources.savvyaviation.com/

I’ll add another vote for Mike. He has a lot of webinars posted on the Savvy YouTube channel. I’ve watched almost all the videos. Very informative on how to think about maintenance, what you should are shouldn’t stress about when it come to cylinder health, engine temps, etc. great info on how to run your engine, watching what temps for what reason, how to manage your leaning ops etc…. The man really knows aviation engines and does a good job keeping it simple for us non A&P folks.

Thanks all. I looked at Vic’s utubes and some of the areas I am interested in are covered. I’ll go look at Mike’s. I just moved to this field recently and don’t have the network nor is there an EAA chapter on the field but there are several on nearby fields.

I need to find a local A&P to hang with me for a bit. It is easy when someone shows you how.

And….if you’re a Kitplanes subscriber, go to the online archives and search for “Maintenance Matters” articles - written by Dave Prizio (and before him, Steve Ells), they are there specifically to demystify maintenance tasks - in detail) for folks that didn’t grow up helping their A&P uncle in his hangar…..

Paul

I am a subscriber - I’ll give that whirl. What is cracking me up about the various internet / utube offerings is that I have yet to see one that covers a complete topic and all use different values for things like torque.

Thanks

Lycoming has a week long (20 hours classroom and 20 hours hands on) course they offer about 8X a year in Lycoming PA. Designed for pilots/A&P's, etc.

That course sounds like overkill but fun. It would certainly fill the holes in knowledge. Thanks for the pointer.

Back