What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6A Aileron Angles?

hrbishopiii

I'm New Here
:confused:I've purchased a flying RV6A and durning my first condition inspection my mechanic says we need to adjust the aleron angles. Does any know the factory angle limits for up and down. I can find the settings in the old drawings that came with the plane. Thanks!
Ramsey Bishop

Last edited:
:confused:I've purchased a flying RV6A and durning my first condition inspection my mechanic says we need to adjust the aleron angles. Does any know the factory angle limits for up and down. I can find the settings in the old drawings that came with the plane. Thanks!
Ramsey Bishop

If he doesn't have a table showing the appropriate limits of travel, how does he know the current state of rig needs adjusting?

Make sure your mechanic understands that the RV's have differential aileron throws, with the "up" aileron having more travel than the "down" aileron.

proceedure to adjust

I do not have access to the manual this weekend but would appreciate if someone could share the aileron adjustment procedure. While inspecting an older RV6 it appears the control bell-cranks are not symmetrical L/R. Need to drop the push tubes anyhow to align so it's a good time to get them both done if I can get the info.
I hope it isn't a jig I need to obtain like the 7 :eek:

Be very careful when adjusting the aileron throw on an RV-6. The belcranks must be precisely centered. A slightly "off" adjustment can cause an "over-center" lock-up of the controls in one direction or the other.

Mel,
Appreciate the alert, I am seeing about .2" difference on the bell crank position when the controls are in trail. Given the asymmetrical nature of the control throw I flagged it for alignment.

So, can anyone supply the procedure or am I waiting for Vans on Tuesday....

Be very careful when adjusting the aileron throw on an RV-6. The belcranks must be precisely centered. A slightly "off" adjustment can cause an "over-center" lock-up of the controls in one direction or the other.

To start you off, Look for an alignment hole drilled in the bellcrank. A drill bit is placed in the hole to lock the 2 bellcranks in position with the bellcrank support. If you can't get the second pin in the hole, you will need to disconnect the rod at the bottom of the stick. Adjust rod between sticks so sticks are parallel. Adjust each pushrod from the stick to the bellcrank to make the stick vertical.

The last adjustment is done at the aileron to match the couture of the wing. The travel is controlled by a fixed stop, and MUST be within Van's specks.... I just can't remember what that is off the top of my head.

More than one version

Appreciate the reply but these bellcranks do not have alignment holes. The kit was completed in 98' so it may just be an older setup.

To start you off, Look for an alignment hole drilled in the bellcrank. A drill bit is placed in the hole to lock the 2 bellcranks in position with the bellcrank support.

just what i needed

Thanks Gasman!
That should allow me to make some progress this weekend.

Just to reiterate, there were no holes and alignment pins in the early RV-6 plans.

That procedure came later.

Neutral Aileron Bellcrank

A simple explanation which worked for me is that you make your own #40 hole in the bellcrank and the angle above it to pin it in neutral position. You know neutral bell crank because the plans show you when in neutral, the measurement from the bearing hole in the bell crank ( that goes to the control stick) is 1 3/16 inches from the vertical surface of the mounting angle. All your bearing adjustments happen after you start with the neutral bell crank, pinned with a 6 inch #40 drill bit after you drill it through both pieces. Then you can always have a neutral position to use forever and ever and ever:)

FP11072021A00017.jpg

Inspections

While this would make alignment easier it requires a bit more than drilling a hole. Strictly speaking, I would have to remove the bell crank to debur prep and prime the parts. Seems like a lot of trouble on an existing AC when you can clamp the aileron in trail and use a ruler to confirm alignment.

That said, thanks to the group for all the feedback!

Last edited:
Back