What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine baffling for RV8 390 engine

Does anyone have any advice on engine baffling to install a 390 engine in my RV8? I seem to remember someone discussing purchasing the baffle kit from Van's for the RV14, help would be appreciated!

I would check with Van's Tech Support. The 390 is a supported engine for the RV-8. My guess is that the IO-360 baffle kit (BAF-8-IO360) may work. IIRC, the Lycoming 390 is a bored out 360 engine.

Does anyone have any advice on engine baffling to install a 390 engine in my RV8? I seem to remember someone discussing purchasing the baffle kit from Van's for the RV14, help would be appreciated!

I don't know about the 390 engine but the baffle material for the 360 parallel valve is very generic for all 360 parallel engines. The material will fit over the valve cover and the back of the engine mount. You will have to manually trim so it will fit under your cowl. I suspect the baffle for the 390 engine is the same.

Other builders of non-Vans aircrafts that use the 540 engine also found the Vans baffle compatible to their engines. As always, fitment will be required based on your cowl, oil cooler arrangement, and intake configuration.

Hey Lucky, I was thinking of installing the 390, did you have any issues with the forward cowl fit? Concern is the snorkel clearances. Would also like to see how you mounted the oil cooler.

Thanks in advance

I’ve got the baffle kit for the RV-14 on order now for my RV-8 and IO-390. Don’t recall who but a previous poster said it fit just fine.

I used the RV14 baffle kit for my IO-390 8A build. The fit was excellent. The instructions were very good. I would recommend this approach. Lots of details in my build log.

Hi Yella Dog,
I have not gotten that far yet, I have been told that I will have no problem with the cowling, some small mods will be in order for the snorkel. I have purchased the showplanes ducting for the larger oil cooler.

Back