What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SERVICE BULLETIN 14-02-05 - NOT RECOMMENDED AS PM?

rkiefer2

Well Known Member
Im building my RV8 EMP kit and I was getting ready to order the parts for the SB 14-02-05 and I noticed the below verbiage.

Method of Compliance:
NOTE: Installation of this service bulletin as preventative maintenance is not
recommended. If cracking has occurred at an outboard hinge position, install a
doubler only at that position.

I'm assuming it makes sense to apply these doublers to new builds and all locations proactively. Correct?

Little confused on there statement with not being recommended with PM.

If its already riveted together and there are no cracks, why bother?

If its not yet built, why not go ahead and incorporated the SB?

IIRC the logic was that some of the rivets to be removed were hard to get at and/or in the aft spar. Vans engineering judged that there was some risk of damage to the aft spar if repairs were not done well - hence the recommendation to repair only if it failed inspection.
For a new build, it should be incorporated.

That SB is now included in the empennage kit from vans. As your saying you have to order the parts I take it you have an old kit?

If your just building the kit you should include the SB.

Im building my RV8 EMP kit and I was getting ready to order the parts for the SB 14-02-05 and I noticed the below verbiage.

Method of Compliance:
NOTE: Installation of this service bulletin as preventative maintenance is not
recommended. If cracking has occurred at an outboard hinge position, install a
doubler only at that position.

I'm assuming it makes sense to apply these doublers to new builds and all locations proactively. Correct?

Little confused on there statement with not being recommended with PM.

When was your emp kit manufactured? If it was after that SB the fix is already included. If your kit pre-dates that service bulletin, order the parts and install while assembling.

I bought an unopened RV-8 empennage kit second hand in 2019, the previous owner also had the SB kit as well. The kit was originally produced in 2011.

So I had parts from 2011, a SB kit and parts from sometime after 2014, plans from the emp kit from 2011, plans from the SB from 2014 and the most up to date Vans RV-8 plans from 2016.

It took a few nights of head scratching to sort it all out and figure out what went where. The SB kit is designed to go onto an existing build. The 2011 plans don't incorporate the SB extra parts obviously. While the 2016 plans incorporate the extra parts which are now part of the standard empennage kit. So my 2011 plans drawings don't show the SB kit parts and have different part numbers for a couple of the parts. So I used all three sets of plans to build this assembly which I just finished riveting (finally) the other night. Gotta say that's one beefy section now with all the extra rivets and doublers.

If that's the situation you're in let me know if you need help making sense of all of it. I found the instructions from the SB to be especially helpful as they contained extra drawings that I don't think the current plans have. You can look at my kitlog at the link below as I just did the write up on that section a few nights ago. I think I also explain the build up of that part in some earlier log posts.

Last edited:
... So I used all three sets of plans to build this assembly which I just finished riveting (finally) the other night. Gotta say that's one beefy section now with all the extra rivets and doublers.

Mike, you're a true kit builder. :)

Back