What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine options - RV14a

NZRV14

I'm New Here
Hard to know exactly when I will need to order an engine but expecting Lycoming to put prices up again this year, standard IO-390 is currently $54,750 USD. Adding in finish kit, propellor and avionics and still have a lot of money to find.

Hopefully by the time I need it I can afford engine but are there any options?, I've seen talk of an angle valve IO-360 which you might be able to get used and rebuilt, you sure won't get a used IO-390-A3B6

I simply don't have the knowledge or skill set to deviate far from what Vans have documented in the kit.

If someone has a thread on this topic, please advise.

……(snip) I've seen talk of an angle valve IO-360 which you might be able to get used and rebuilt, you sure won't get a used IO-390-A3B6…….

I think a good healthy AV 360 would be a very viable option. If I’m not mistaken, that’s the engine that Vans has in one of their demonstrator 14’s.

Last edited:
Yep - the 210-215hp IO390 is (in my opinion) the Achilles Heal of the RV-14. The plane needs all those extra ponies and this engine is the only good match.

There needs to be new options. Is anyone already installing a 220hp UL520T in their RV-14 project?

Carl

Yep - the 210-215hp IO390 is (in my opinion) the Achilles Heal of the RV-14. The plane needs all those extra ponies and this engine is the only good match.

There needs to be new options. Is anyone already installing a 220hp UL520T in their RV-14 project?

Carl

Never flown a 14, but struggle to see how 10 HP makes that much difference. Either way, if it is important to you, I am sure Barret's port and polish work will net at least 210 out of an AV 360. $53K is nuts for a 4 cyl engine. Doubt an AV 360 is much lighter than a 390, but really have no idea.

I think a good healthy AV 360 would be a very viable option. If I’m not mistaken, that’s the engine that Vans has in one of their demonstrator 14’s.

Having flown the demonstrator 14, I can say without hesitation that if that is the engine in it, it is a very viable option. The plane was very zippy, took off in no time, and climbed like a dream.

Would a 360 do it, of course it will as a number of them are flying and perhaps happily. But the question for the owner will be if he/she would ever start wishing to have gone with the more powerful 390 and possibly come to regret the decision.
One thing for sure, the resale value will not be nearly as good. Not that most build to sale but it is some thing to consider.

Support for 360

Facing this issue at the moment. Looking at the price list from Vans the 360 that is 200hp is not much cheaper than the standard 390. It also does not say it is for the 14 which makes me think they don't do FWF for it anymore.

There's one UL Power 220T going in, Australian build, hopefully he keeps updating. That engine is very appealing, I don't have exact pricing but believe it is quite a bit cheaper and they may have a FWF kit. Some throttle management to keep speed under control but no great issue there, the bigger issue is support from Vans.

Facing this issue at the moment. Looking at the price list from Vans the 360 that is 200hp is not much cheaper than the standard 390. It also does not say it is for the 14 which makes me think they don't do FWF for it anymore.

The firewall forward kit is the same for the 360 angle valve. The angle valve 360 with a front mount governor will work perfectly on the -14. I am just finishing up rebuilding an IO360 C1E6 off of a Seneca. I just needed to change the sump to a front induction.

………(snip) I just needed to change the sump to a front induction.

If you don’t already have one, I’ll be pulling mine off of my 390 pretty soon and selling it. It’s the standard sump (not cold air) with the forward facing servo mount. I’m replacing it with a Superior Cold air induction, so I won’t be needing it. It’s brand new and will also come with the intake tubes. If it’s something you may be interested in, send me a PM. with a reasonable offer.

If you don’t already have one, I’ll be pulling mine off of my 390 pretty soon and selling it. It’s the standard sump (not cold air) with the forward facing servo mount. I’m replacing it with a Superior Cold air induction, so I won’t be needing it. It’s brand new and will also come with the intake tubes. If it’s something you may be interested in, send me a PM. with a reasonable offer.

Thank you. I have the sump already but I may want the tubes. I modified the ones that came off of the rear induction sump and I would prefer to just replace them. These are pics of the 360 before I got it mounted on the plane. I'm hoping for a test flight this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20221125_202910081.jpg
    IMG_20221125_202910081.jpg
    860.1 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20221125_202934747_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221125_202934747_HDR.jpg
    943.5 KB · Views: 112
I am considering the Aerosport IO-375 stoker with the fwd mounted governor. I am also considering using the SDS electronic fuel injection system. From what I read this is 200-205 hp. Curious if anyone has considered this engine?

Back