What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What are these holes for?

stigaro

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me what the undimpled holes in the F-01484 Center Bottom Skin are used for? The ones circled red in the plans attached. I know the aft-most set of 3 (green ones) are for the transponder antenna, but I'm unsure of the purpose of the other 5 holes. I don't see them referenced anywhere in subsequent chapters. Is there any problem if the bottom skin was dimpled in the wrong direction and these holes are on the left side rather than the right? Asking for a friend.

Attachments

• FuselageSkin.jpg
    FuselageSkin.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 191
Can anyone tell me what the undimpled holes in the F-01484 Center Bottom Skin are used for? The ones circled red in the plans attached. I know the aft-most set of 3 (green ones) are for the transponder antenna, but I'm unsure of the purpose of the other 5 holes. I don't see them referenced anywhere in subsequent chapters. Is there any problem if the bottom skin was dimpled in the wrong direction and these holes are on the left side rather than the right? Asking for a friend.

I believe those are drain holes, in the event of water/fluid intrusion.

I believe those are drain holes, in the event of water/fluid intrusion.

I was thinking that may the purpose. My idiot friend says it's OK if water drains out the left side rather than the right. And he thinks the transponder antenna will look even better on the left side :)

Bunch of notes about the bottom skin on 26-11 of the Fuselage PDF at the WIKI. See link bellow.

Latest word from Van's is that the bottom skin is symmetric and that it shouldn't matter if installed upside down. And drainage from the holes should be the same on the left as the right. I understand the transponder antenna holes will be on the left too, but I can't understand why that would be a problem either.

Latest word from Van's is that the bottom skin is symmetric and that it shouldn't matter if installed upside down. And drainage from the holes should be the same on the left as the right. I understand the transponder antenna holes will be on the left too, but I can't understand why that would be a problem either.

Now THAT is amazing..... to me....:eek:

Back