What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage Questions

asw20c

Well Known Member
I discovered that the phone cable connector on WH-00059 does not fit through the F-01429 Left and Right bellcrank rib holes as called out on page 10-26. Even if I remove the snap bushings it still doesn't fit. What have others done here? I'm always reluctant to remove metal, and if I drill out the holes to make them larger I'll need to install a different size (larger) snap bushing.

Also, on page 10-29 I can't tell if the F-01475 top skin has an inside or outside. It is a symmetrical part. Any advice on which side goes out on this part?

Oh, and I discovered a mistake on page 10-19. Where step one is telling you to rivet the side skins to all those parts, F-01409 is incorrectly included here. Bulkhead F-01409 does not get installed until page 10-27.
Thanks,

I cut one end off the cable, then reinstalled a new one I had on hand. Very easy to do with a pair of pliers made for the job.

I didn't have to enlarge those holes to to get the phone cable through. I did take out the bushing and any other wires that were previously installed.
Sounds like some builders do have issues here though. Maybe some slight variances in hole size?
Regarding the top skin..I don't think it matters. My skin seemed to have a very slight bend favoring the shape the fuselage, so it went with that.
Also, I had to test fit and "shape" the aft edge of that top skin a couple times to get a nice fit with the aft bulkhead.

I was able to get the plug through after splitting the snap bushings. I think I had to slightly shave corners (very slightly).

The top skin is symmetrical - pick a side to be the inside and go for it.

WH-00059 does not fit through the F-01429

I use the belt sander to shave the corners, just a tad.

Back