What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

0/320 prop strike need re build price

Can some engine rebuilder in USA give me a estimate on 0/320 I think it’s roller tappets type
In Australia there quoting $24000.00 Australia + tax
There saying governor and magneto have to be o/haul
Does that have to be done in a non certified engine fitted in rv9a
Thanks

As you pointed out, it's experimental. In the US (not sure about Australia) that means you don't HAVE to do ANYthing for that engine.

Having said that - there are some things that are just good common sense and "best practices" that should be followed. In the certified world, those become mandatory - which means that somewhere along the line people died because of it, or it wouldn't be mandatory.

At a minimum, assuming you are willing to take most of the risk upon yourself, you should dial the crank to see if it's bent. Next on the list would be a rebuild of the mags and governor, yes, because those are gear-driven and frequently are damaged by the sudden-stop of a prop strike.

Having said all that - I think the dollar cost you are being quoted is high.

As you pointed out, it's experimental. In the US (not sure about Australia) that means you don't HAVE to do ANYthing for that engine.

Having said that - there are some things that are just good common sense and "best practices" that should be followed. In the certified world, those become mandatory - which means that somewhere along the line people died because of it, or it wouldn't be mandatory.

At a minimum, assuming you are willing to take most of the risk upon yourself, you should dial the crank to see if it's bent. Next on the list would be a rebuild of the mags and governor, yes, because those are gear-driven and frequently are damaged by the sudden-stop of a prop strike.

Having said all that - I think the dollar cost you are being quoted is high.
My 2 cents from the other side of the planet... Is the engine close to run out (lots of new/reconditioning needed)? Low time (reuse most stuff as-is)? Do you want to upgrade/increase performance? These are part of the equation.
Disassemble, inspect, reassemble (only requiring new consumables). You could get out for $1,000-2,000 on the low side. With your labor. What would a shop charge you? I'm guessing 10X this figure.

Last edited:
Look at you prop manufacturers definition of a prop strike.
This will give some indication.
Having said that, a wood prop lightly touching a grass field at low rpm may not cause major damage to the engine, even though the prop need overhaul.
On the other hand a metal prop that is severely bent may require a new
crankshaft and other things on the engine.
If the prop had a "sudden stop" particularly at high rpm, then the magnetos and governor are damaged. This may risk the life of people if not repaired.

Good luck

Any reputable shop would have to perform all the steps laid out per Lycoming's Bulletin: & you retain value (& peace of mind) in the engine.

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/defa...r Loss of Propeller_Rotor Blade or Ti (1).pdf

There is significant work involved in a prop strike inspection. These days at that estimated cost ($25k au), it probably wouldn't include other potential nasties like new crank, gears, oil pump, etc.

...Any inspection/repair process less than that & you basically have a core, of questionable valve.

Can some engine rebuilder in USA give me a estimate on 0/320 I think it’s roller tappets type
In Australia there quoting $24000.00 Australia + tax
There saying governor and magneto have to be o/haul
Does that have to be done in a non certified engine fitted in rv9a
Thanks

Given the US to Australian conversion rate of $1 US to $1.43 Australian, the price you’re quoting is similar to the price for the tear down/rebuild inspection from my prop strike last summer. The prop governor was also overhauled but I decided to upgrade to PMags instead of replacing the slick magnetos per Lycoming guidelines. The PMag upgrade added a little to the total cost.

Thank goodness for insurance.

I believe I have raised this point before.

You did not describe how the strike occurred but the gamut of methods is adequately covered in the Lycoming advisory circular.

As stated by Lycoming, crank replacement is mandatory if the flange run out limits are exceeded.

The inconsistent history of the degree of crank damage from prop strikes, (from nothing to total crank failure on next start up) depends on the "timing" of the strike in relation to a power pulse. If contact occurs just as a cylinder fires, the loads "go to Valhalla" and you can suffer internal fracture planes more than .375" below the surface of the flange, beyond detection from a good magna flux machine.

The only diligent test is an industrial X-ray.

They're a lot more strict in OZ than here in the USA.

Good Luck!

Prop strike

I had a nose wheel collapsed and tip over I have dialed the crankshaft with zero run out prop did get damaged but is on idle

I had a nose wheel collapsed and tip over I have dialed the crankshaft with zero run out prop did get damaged but is on idle

While some amateurs seem to use that as an acid test, sadly a flange with 0 run out IS NOT a definitive indicator that no internal damage exists. While we each must develop our own risk tolerance level, this individual data point alone should not provide a great deal of comfort to you. It is the stress from excessive decelleration forces that can cause problems and do not believe that this will bend the flange in EVERY case. Think concussion. You can have significant trauma to your brain, eventhough you have no external signs of injury. On the flipside, a good deal of run out is not a death sentence either. I bought a prop strike core for my 10. Crank dialed out at .010" ASI bent it back to 0 and found no other damage on the crank or gears. Never looked at the governor or mags, as they went to the recycle bin. Was told that one of the most common failures from a prop strike is the cank gear or the pin that indexes it.

Last edited:
Back