What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground Adjustable Props

Hey guys, recently acquired the slider RV-4 that started my whole obsession with experimental aviation. Overall, I couldn’t be happier with it. One thing I’m looking to change however, is the propeller. Currently it has a sensenich FP wood prop that doesn’t seem to be pitched quite right, and just doesn’t have a smooth feel to it.

I’ve been looking at the ground adjustable offerings from Sensenich, Cato, and WW. Would like to have a 3 blade for aesthetic reasons.

My question is what experience have you guys had with the new round of GA props available, both with performance numbers, and how smooth the prop runs. If anything my priority is to have the most turbine like smoothness in power delivery available, I know they’re all going to perform within a few knots of each other.

Hangar neighbor has the Sensi on his O-320-powered RV9A. He reports excellent performance hitting Vans book numbers in all categories, and he states it is very smooth.

By way of contrast, a couple of years ago I flew in a friend's Glastar. Again, an 0-320 with the Whirlwind ground adjustable prop. Frankly, I thought my airplane was smooth until riding in the Glastar. That prop took "smooth" to a whole new level.

GA Sensenich Experience

3-Blade Sensenich on RV-6 160HP. I like this propeller alot. Just as fast and better climb than either of my old propellers

Required dynamic balance to smooth it out. Still not as smooth and "feels" buzzier that my first prop 2-Blade Fred Felix wood propeller with a Landoll Damper. Just as smooth but "feels" buzzy compared to Sensenich 2-blade metal propeller.

I put a Sensenich GA carbon fiber prop on my last RV4. I liked it enough to also put it on my current RV6. Both O-360-A1A carbed engines. Very happy with both and both are very smooth. I’ve pitched them both for a max RPM at full throttle to be 2700 RPM, so basically a cruise prop. Both airplanes will cruise above 170K TAS (172-174) at 8,000’ PA. In my configuration, that power setting is about 65%. See pic/video:

A475C56A-77B1-4603-8AA4-FCA73735B057.jpg

There are two videos on this flight on my way home from OSH ‘21, that give you an indication of the sound/smoothness of the engine/prop operation, but they wouldn’t upload. I can try to email those if you wish.

Pitch is very easy to manage with the Sensenich pitch pins.

Last edited:
Back