What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GAP-26 Pitot Probe Install Near Wingtip?

1949MGTC

Sponsor
I know many people install the GAP 26 probe one bay outboard of the aileron control access panel but I was considering putting the probe in the wingtip bay near the first rib inboard of the wingtip rib. See photo. Does anyone have any experience with putting the probe near the wingtip? Are there any AOA indication errors? I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
Bill Gardner

Attachments

• DE00AFA2-D49A-43F0-B315-97CD9A50F743.jpg
    DE00AFA2-D49A-43F0-B315-97CD9A50F743.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 100
Was caught by a gust while flaring mere inches off the ground one time and nearly dragged a wingtip. Will the pitot placed that far out make it the first (expensive, but what on an aircraft not expensive?) thing to contact the ground?

GAP 26

Mounting Location
• The GAP 26 is an under-wing mounted pitot/AOA probe, it is not intended for fuselage mount applications. For proper functionality, the GAP 26 should be mounted in a location where airflow over the probe is relatively undisturbed (typically mid-wing span).
G3X installation manual rev:AQ, PDF pg 72.

Good luck

Since the GAP 26 includes AoA detection and really can replace your stall warning and stalls start at root, for an RV designed wing you are moving your detection of that stall later in time. Bad Idea.

Stall Wing Diagram.jpg.

Another negative to note, the further out on the wingtip you locate the probe, the greater the influence that yaw will have on the airspeed indication.

Back