What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Elevator Front flange Placement

ECAM

Patron
Hello ,

Does the tip rib assembly (inboard rib 904) fit over the elevator front spar flanges (902) or does the tip rib (904) flange fit inside the front spar
See page 9-08 figure 2 if I have confused you
Thanks
Phil

The WIKI has this picture on page 132. Spar flange is sandwiched in between the outboard tip rib flange (inside) and counterbalance skin (outside), with the spar flange in the middle.

Attachments

• Image 12-18-22 at 7.43 AM.jpg
    Image 12-18-22 at 7.43 AM.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
This seems strange to me. It’s going to distort the skin and cause a pressure point on top and bottom. In a similar circumstance I believe on the rudder they provided a spacer to maintain flush.

Thank you

Can you please tell me how to access the picture you have posted.
Phil

Not sure if you went to the dropbox or not. The picture and all the other hints and tips are in the pdf files on the dropbox site, which we call the WIKI. If you have other questions you can search for Pete "HAL Pilot" and/or WIKI in this forum, Pete owns the dropbox and if you message him with your email address, he will get you edit access I you want. But I don't think you need anything for read only access.

I also copied another version of the link below, the one above in my post was from my dropbox, so maybe that doesn't work for others, sorry about that. Let me know if that was it, so I can remove the link above.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xu5p6f4l7tso79j/AABHaMhiVWFGoal2bU0ck0pJa?dl=0

Last edited:
This seems strange to me. It’s going to distort the skin and cause a pressure point on top and bottom. In a similar circumstance I believe on the rudder they provided a spacer to maintain flush.

Are you referring to R-00917 on the rudder? To me yes, that's a spacer, but not for skin, I think it's for the rudder attachment not to interfere with the lower outer rib. But maybe you are thinking of another area?

On the elevator, the main skin goes on top of the counterbalance skin, so don't think there is an issue with pressure points, the counterbalance skin is extended back a bit, which prevents this in my opinion.

I was probably thinking of the R918 in the same area. Not the same skin support issue. Just looks strange to me.

Thanks for the WIKI file! What a mound of info!

I’ve been meaning to reach out to you. I’m not far behind you and live about 20 miles away.

I was probably thinking of the R918 in the same area. Not the same skin support issue. Just looks strange to me.

Thanks for the WIKI file! What a mound of info!

I’ve been meaning to reach out to you. I’m not far behind you and live about 20 miles away.

Of course, shoot me a PM anytime!

That "mound of info" is whats posted here in the RV14 pages just arranged in the relevant areas on the plans as the VAF format is not efficient to keep common mistakes from happening.

Enjoy

Pete

WIKI Link below

Back