What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Next tool: Bandsaw

eric.the.blonde

This this is hopelessly stuck together. Won't go in further, won't come out. I give up and will donate to a local high school shop class.

IMG_1587.jpg

Blaster

Spray it with PB Blaster before going to bed. Try again tomorrow. When it comes apart, polish the parts inside with a cylinder hone , then some fine emery on the leg. They grow a little rust and it makes them bind.

Last edited:
What they both said. And if you can secure on of the pieces, perhaps with rope, and put tension on the other, perhaps with a come along, that might not hurt. Or bolt the mount down securely, and I mean securely, and use a drift to pound the leg out. A dowel would make a suitable drift.

Dave

Warm it up with a harbor freight heat gun, or carefully with a propane torch, trying not to burn or melt the powder coating.. squirt your favorite penetrating oil (kroil, ect..) then re heat it. It should release. The heat expends the outer metal hopefully more than the slightly cooler metal.. this should allow the penetrating oil to get in their further, then reheat to reexpand the joint and pull, twist, dead blow mallet ect…

Do you own a 3X rivet gun?
I'd hit the leg in the socket with a flush set. Lean into it. A thousand hammer smacks can do wonders.

Let me guess. The powder coating on that leg where it enters the gear weldment is what is making the leg stick. I foolishly stuck mine together like that without measuring the length of the weldment socket and got mine stuck together. Lots of dedicated blows with a very large hammer finally got them apart. After that I did some scraping off of the powder coating down to where it no longer provided an interference fit. Too bad the plans didn't explain this!

Lots of good advice. Thank you.

This is my second leg. I completed the right leg in December: with some strenuous effort I managed to ream the bolt hole and then the leg just popped right out after a couple of twists as if it was tapered. I didn't do any preparation other than rounding the edges of the chamfer at the top of the leg.

If the right leg was a difficult wrestle, the left leg has been a battle from beyond the pale.

The right leg, without any preparation, slid past the lower bearing while the left would not. While scratching my head, my calipers, to the best of my ability, said that the left leg was 10-15 thou larger than the ID of the bearing. I didn't write the values down.

I should have stopped and called Van's. Instead I decided to clean up the surfaces with 400 grit + scotchbrite. Well, that allowed me to insert the leg yesterday for a trial fit. I wasn't intending to go all the way, but I didn't have to try very hard to get the leg within 1/8" of its final destination. ...and then it wouldn't budge.

I applied heat.
I let it cold-soak outdoors and then applied heat.
I tapped with a mallet/dowel.
I tapped with a 16oz.
I whacked with a 16oz.
I whacked with a 4lb sledge/impact socket.

The best I can do is get a grudging 5 degree rotation early when applying heat.

I'm sure the assembly is damaged by now. I'm done with it.

Like bruceh I thought the powdercoat was curious, but didn't act on it. It seems unnecessary to have powdercoat in the weldment area. Surely powdercoat does not benefit the bearing surface. Of course it doesn't and don't call me Shirley.

Back