What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wings to Fuse Gap?

rockitdoc

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I can't find anything in the plans that describes how to close the small gap that may exist when the wing gets attached to the fuse. A search came up dry. BTW, I haven't done this, yet, so if there is no gap, never mind. :eek:

Use the same material that you have on the HS to fuselage fairing gap.

This is nothing new, this is how you managed the wing intersection faring before the RV-10 and RV-14. The difference is you only need it on the leading edge.

Trim the intersection fairing to get a 3/16” to 1/4” gap between the inboard fairing edge and the fuselage. Once you have a good fit with the rubber channel add a dab or two of black silicone seal inside the rubber channel to make sure it says attached to the intersection fairing.

Carl
D1-C5-EF6-E-E7-EE-41-BC-9929-EF4-C5-E485642.jpg

Last edited:
I put rubber along all of the top wing fairings. Purchased from Amazon.

Attachments

• IMG_9608.jpg
    IMG_9608.jpg
    419.8 KB · Views: 178
Not wanting to start a debate, but the plans assume no gap, and that’s exactly what I have - no gap. I was concerned about metal to metal wear (gap fairing against fuselage skin) but there is none after 900+hours. Also, there are no telltale signs of air moving in or out along the interface.

Not wanting to start a debate, but the plans assume no gap, and that’s exactly what I have - no gap. I was concerned about metal to metal wear (gap fairing against fuselage skin) but there is none after 900+hours. Also, there are no telltale signs of air moving in or out along the interface.

Plus one here, I also have no gap and no metal to metal rubbing. In fact the two pictures above are the only 14s that I have seen with the rubber installed.

Not sure about the 14, but the 8 build manual calls for a 3/16" gap:

"Mark along the F-872APP Fwd Wing Root Fairings and F-872BPP Aft Wing Root Fairings for an even 3/16 gap between the edge of the fairings and the side of the fuselage."
To clarify, my comment was about the 14 since this was posted in the RV14 section. Other models do have a rubber seal to cover the gap and if it is not done correctly, it can come out in flight as many have reported it.

Was in a 7A recently whose gap seal came off in flight and started tapping against the fuselage. It was challenging to debug in the air because you can't see it, and challenging on the ground because the seal (sort of) fell back into place.

Last edited:
I can't find anything in the plans that describes how to close the small gap that may exist when the wing gets attached to the fuse. A search came up dry. BTW, I haven't done this, yet, so if there is no gap, never mind. :eek:

The gap is as large as you make it - mine is just a bit wider than 1/16", and I don't notice it, especially once the plane was painted.

_Alex

Back