What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to make angle AL 90 deg

I am building the HS for the -10 and made a mistake on a part and had to reorder. Getting used to that :(

I ordered part AA6 - 187 x 2 x 2 1/2, which was the original angle Al that I was to make the part (HS-1008) out of. When I received it I noticed that it was a different angle than the original. Checked and it was not 90 deg. I sent a note to the mothership and the response I received was "Extruded aluminum angle is rarely ever at a perfect 90°, this part will require a little effort to true up using a dead blow hammer. Clamping in a bench vise with soft jaws and making adjustments on the short edge will produce an acceptable part". Sounds easy enough. I fabricated the part to make it smaller, clamped it in the vice and beat the bejeazers out of the small side and no change to the angle. The part is larger than 90 deg so I am trying to close up the angle. I am getting to the point where I might damage the part if I keep trying to bend it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to change the angle of this piece of Al?? It is .20", and thicker in the corner so not exactly an easy piece to bend.

showmy.php

Weird, I've never seen structural aluminum angle that wasn't 90.

I did buy mine local when I screwed up my angles in the 9.

Back