What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sport Pilot to Private - best on line school?

ben barron

Well Known Member
Patron
I have been a sport pilot flying my RV12 for 5 years now and planning to build an RV14. Wondering which on line flight school would be the best for the upgrade to Private (ground school) ?

I think Rod Machado has some good products. Some would say that his method of adding in silly items is a distraction, but he is able to pack a lot of information into his books and videos. I haven't done his ground school online class but I have purchased some of the specific area videos and I think they are all pretty good. You can watch them many times and they include quizzes on the material. I've noticed when I re-watch these videos that I sometimes missed some of the specific items mentioned when I watched it the first time. I would bet that his Private Pilot Ground School is pretty good too. I actually wish I would have purchased it, but I'm past that point now.

I did purchase the Sporty's Ground School a while ago and I didn't think it was that great. There is a lot of information that has to be packed into these classes and its not that easy to do an all encompassing job.

Vote for Sporty's

I used Sporty's PPL class when I transitioned from Sport Pilot to Private Pilot. Great videos, works on a number of platforms, saves progress and great practice exams. I found the practice questions very similar to what I experienced in my official test.

I was surprised at how much I had forgotten during a year of Sport Pilot flying that I had to "re-learn" for my PPL.

Free

I don't know about which course is the best, but a few years ago my son did the fly8ma.com/ private pilot online course and it worked out fine. Best of all it is free. Try it if it doesn't meet your needs you can try one of the pay courses.

https://learn.fly8ma.com/

Fly8ma.com instrument course has a monthly fee. I used the King program and it was fine. I just wish I could have watched most of it at 1.5x speed.

Back