What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tools

rondawes

Well Known Member
I'm soon going to take possession of a new-to-me RV-7A with a D100 and D120, GNS 430W, and other basic avionics. I'll likely be doing some upgrades in the coming year.

I have the usual assortment of tools: screwdrivers, allen wrenches, wrenchs, socket sets, etc. What specialized equipment will I need to crimp D-sub pins, insert/remove them, and other tools that would be useful when working on avionics installs? Thanks!

Steinair

If you go to the Steinair website (links from front page of VAF), there are tools and links to useful videos on how to use the tools also. This is where I suggest you start.

The dsub pin crimper, wire stripper tools sold by Steinair are adequate for most of the work you’ll do and well priced. However for the removal of the high density dsub pins used in Garmin equipment you’ll also need to buy the insert for the crimper - which is also sold through Steinair.

(IMHO) When it comes to removing dsub pins the flimsy pin removers sold by Steinair are totally inadequate. Go to Amazon buy the JRReady three pin extraction set ($85). A quality extraction tool kit will make all the difference in the world and save you hours of foul language sessions.

Stein sells a D-sub pin crimper and pin removal tool. I prefer a better removal tool than the plastic but they do work. If you plan Garmin, you may need high density pin hardware as well.
You may need a Molex or insulated connector crimp tool depending on design.

Back