What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Texas to Orlando routing/Airport

Redbud40

Well Known Member
Looking at a trip in June to WDW. With all the restricted areas etc looking for a best routing suggestion. Also best Airport / hangar space choices for about 5 days. Thanks.
Mike

my preferred routing

my preferred route from N TX is 0R4 - KJKA - KFPY - KISM

I like to fly the coastal route from KJKA to KFPY. Call Pensacola Approach and they will hand you off as you proceed east.

Have fun.

Last edited:
Yep, we do very similar to Tom and Bonnie.
Using the ATC system along there is the easiest way to keep everyone happy.

Many times, east and westbound in/out of Central FL

Flown this VFR route many times....

Eastbound flight following - Mobile Approach, Pensacola Appr, Eglin Appr, Cairns Appr, Tallahassee Appr, then Jax Appr or Jax Center. From Mobile to Tallahassee the radar coverage is pretty good, down to 3000’, maybe lower. Never refused flight following, and frequencies weren’t busy. Busiest traffic around CEW and MAI VORs.

In Feb 2021, both directions, the Palatka MOAs and Restricted Areas were cold on weekdays so I was allowed to pass through. Had to ask Center or Approach while Flight Following for the status of those areas.

Cheap self serve at Picayune MS, and Quincy and Palatka, FL. Also landed at Marianna, no self serve but great N-S runway and still reasonable 100LL truck fuel price. Palatka can be busy with area flight school students. Definitely recommend ADSB-IN w FFlight or something to watch for flight school students in Central FL. It’s BUSY!

I fly a small right offset VFR from the airway centerline, SJI to MAI, using the Trio Pro Pilot or Garmin 175 features for a little extra clearance with possible centerline air traffic. Airways are 4 miles wide, and approach control has never questioned the offset.

My 2 cents...

Carl

Attachments

• 1C48FBAF-B220-4F74-A6D7-6B62950B8172.png
    1C48FBAF-B220-4F74-A6D7-6B62950B8172.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 265
Last edited:
There is a restricted area SE of KJKA south of the beach. I think the Blue Angels practice there. I’ve landed at both Quincy and Marianna for fuel enroute to Sun-N-Fun from central Mississippi and would recommend either. Cross City is a good choice for fuel also, and has perpendicular runways. If you have time, try a stop at Cedar Key. Headland, Alabama is also a good fuel stop with crossing runways.

Interesting note, in February I was on the company airplane departing KJKA. I noticed the pilots leveled off soon after takeoff and began circling before finally climbing and turning towards our destination. Turns out Pensacola Approach had shut down due to COVID and Mobile Approach was swamped with requests. It wasn’t until the pilots contacted Houston Center that they found out why Pensacola didn’t respond.

I've flown this route before, and it's intimidating for sure. A great reason to get that instrument rating and file, even on a clear day, the "protection" and piece of mind are wonderful

Where in Texas to Orlando? I used to live in Houston and made this very trip 3 to 4 times a year. A friend of mine would do it in a C150, so the first time can be intimidating but it isn't a real big deal. A good stop point is Bay Minette AL, (1R8) to refuel and get lunch before crossing the Florida panhandle. :cool:

Last edited:
Flying from KCRG (Jacksonville) to south MS I use this route typically (keeps me clear of most MOA's /restricted areas):

KCRG GEF MAI CEW LOXLY

This route keeps you in the "VFR corridor" through the heaviest military traffic areas.

Also, use flight following - so much traffic in the panhandle that it's worth doing. Some of the airspace along this route is still classified as military so if you're talking to ATC it really helps with your situational awareness, and sometimes they can clear you direct if some of the MOA's are cold.

If you pick up that route at LOXLY coming the other way from south TX and make the turn towards Orlando at GEF you can stay pretty clear of significant military airspace (with exceptions noted) until you get near the Orlando Bravo. Good fuel stops near the route include others mentioned plus also X60 - Williston FL which has cheap gas and great runways, not usually busy at all.

KISM is good as mentioned. If you don't mind driving a bit consider KLAL, KGIF, KBOW. Hangar space may be challenging but probably can find bulk hangar space at one of the these.

Last edited:
I've flown this route before, and it's intimidating for sure. A great reason to get that instrument rating and file, even on a clear day, the "protection" and piece of mind are wonderful

VFR Flight Following would do the same, would it not?

VFR Flight Following would do the same, would it not?

Nope! I’m glad you asked.. VFR flight following is NOT a clearance, and does NOT protect you from any airspace violations. Usually ATC is very helpful in this, but their job is to provide IFR separation, and they only accommodate VFR traffic when they can. The IFR rating is one of the easiest ratings to get! You already know how to fly, and the flying that you do is all shallow climbs, descents, and shallow turns. It’s all about procedures..

Nope! I’m glad you asked.. VFR flight following is NOT a clearance, and does NOT protect you from any airspace violations. Usually ATC is very helpful in this, but their job is to provide IFR separation, and they only accommodate VFR traffic when they can. The IFR rating is one of the easiest ratings to get! You already know how to fly, and the flying that you do is all shallow climbs, descents, and shallow turns. It’s all about procedures..

To add to that: You will quickly realize the difference in ATC services of FF vs IFR flight plan the first time ATC gets too busy in a congested area like this and tells you to sqk 1200 and contact XXX CTR/APPCH in 10 miles if you would like to continue FF

I know they can decline to provide the service if workload doesn't allow it.. I also understand Flight Following isn't a "clearance". I guess I was thinking about the fact that I use Flight Following around the DFW Bravo.. Although Flight Following isn't a clearance, it CAN include a clearance.. When I asked the prior question I had looked at the Restricted Airspace mentioned around Pensacola and noticed the Elgin/Valparaiso Special Traffic Rule that requires all IFR and VFR to obtain clearances, so I sort of expected the Flight Following Service would assist with obtaining the clearance and vector me as I approached the area. Of course still my job to make sure I have the clearance before entering and ask questions if they try to vector me into restricted airspace.. I'm headed to the area next month from Texas, but will probably just stay to the north and avoid that immediate area..

Last edited:
I would add that the VFR corridor between JKA and Panama City is a real treat. We have done it several times, often with Tom and Bonnie, as a flight of 2 or 3 airplanes. While filing an IFR flight plan would get you from A to B safely, the VFR corridor is an adventure - both in practicing skills and building experience. One clearance (flight following) was “remain at or below 300 feet” - I did a readback to confirm :). In another case, we were alerted to a C130 traveling opposite 500’ below, and we were only at 1000’. And it’s really beautiful! - some of my fondest flying memories.

Flown this VFR route many times....

In Feb 2021, both directions, the Palatka MOAs and Restricted Areas were cold on weekdays so I was allowed to pass through. Had to ask Center or Approach while Flight Following for the status of those areas.

I'm sure you know but you never need permission to cross through an MOA even if active. Restricted areas, yes, you need permission from the controlling agency.

More anecdotes and opinions....

I'm sure you know but you never need permission to cross through an MOA even if active. Restricted areas, yes, you need permission from the controlling agency.

Agreed, however in that blob of airspace just south of Palatka the mix of airspace is complicated enough that I choose to stay clear of all unless ATC says it’s all COLD.

IIRC the airway from Mobile to Marianna passes through or very close proximity to MOAs, and with Flight Following I’ve felt comfortable, those MOAs active or not.

With respect to flying Mobile to Marianna, IFR or VFR, when flying IFR in VFR conditions the pilot still needs to watch out for VFR traffic, including non-electrical planes without xponders or ADSB or anything that would help with radar ID.

My experience flying an RV with Flight Following in that area is that the approach controllers routinely moved me temporarily to avoid commuter airlines, military traffic, etc. I know Flight Following is a lower priority but I’ve never had a controller send an IFR (or another VFR) plane scary close to me (not including RIPON to FISKE to OSH). Around the Houston area APPCH will typically issue a vector and/or altitude to me, if I’m in the Class Bravo or not.

Getting an IFR rating is a step that probably improves a pilot’s skills. I’m not sure that flying IFR in VFR conditions from Mobile to Marianna (or back) buys you much advantage in safety or ATC services over VFR Flight Following. Of course, if you disappear while on an IFR flight plan I’d expect ATC activates emergency stuff faster than an overdue VFR flight plan plane.

Compared to the Florida Panhandle I have higher concerns about the flight student traffic flying along the east coast, and central areas of Florida from Daytona Beach, New Smyrna, and points south. I’ve seen groups of 172s arrive and saturate traffic patterns at Central FL uncontrolled fields. As my earlier post, highly recommend having an ADSB-IN system to help keep track of traffic. ForeFlight on an iPad, tied to your audio system, can give you audio alerts about some of the traffic in your vicinity. Another tool that helps!

My 2 cents more, now I’ve put 4 cents into this thread :D

Carl

Last edited:
If you are flying through the Panhandle below 7,000 feet, I would highly recommend requesting VFR Flight Following. Depending on the day and time, there can be a lot traffic in the area, especially military training aircraft and helos. On the weekend most MOAs and RAs are cold and Eglin/Tyndall Approach will clear you through them. Most of the Tyndall MOAs are open at 6000-9000 ft even when active. I have never been turned down for Flight Following in this area, Eglin & Tyndall Approach actually encourage its use. KECP tower will advise VFR traffic to contact Tyndall Approach on 120.825 for Flight Following when leaving their airspace.

If you are going to/over KMAI be aware Tri-County (1J0) has parachute ops on Saturdays, CARINS approach will let you know when they are jumping if you are talking to them. That is a 1J0 NOTAM and is not on the chart. If you take the beach route (Eglin Special Air Traffic area) for some really great scenery, be aware of air tour helos and banner tow planes, especially on the weekends. If you want to get down low and mix it up with them, they have their own traffic advisory frequency.

John Salak
RV12 N896HS

I'm coming from South Texas (KIKG). I am going to hug the coast toward Galveston at above 10,000' and skirt north of the restricted airspace at Pensacola then down to ZPH. I plan on staying overnight there and then getting to Lakeland early in the morning.

Back