What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

JD Air Parts - Anodized Tail Wheel

chrispratt

Well Known Member
Received my lightweight “red” anodized tailwheel from JD Air Parts. Matches my RV-8 paint scheme nicely. Installed today and took it for a test flight. Yes, the RV does appear to go faster :D

Looks like I’ll need to do some paint touch up now on my beat up Doug Bell fork. :rolleyes:

Chris

Tail wheel........

Looks great! Nice color match! Looks fast...........:D How does the weight compare to what you had before? Did you notice any control differences on the ground? (flight would probably be no different....)

Looks great! Nice color match! Looks fast...........:D How does the weight compare to what you had before? Did you notice any control differences on the ground? (flight would probably be no different....)

I've been using the lightweight tailwheel for a number of years now. Dayton Murdoch (sp?) manufactures these (and originally sold them I believe). JD Air Parts sells them now.

When I first switched over from Van's tail wheel I did not notice any change in weight although this new one is definitely lighter. The ground handling is pretty much the same, perhaps a bit more precise with this new wheel. The main difference I noticed was how much "softer" the tail seemed to feel as it settles to the ground on landing. Seriously, the first time I landed with it, I kept thinking "When is the tail going to come down?" It was that much different. In general it gives a smoother ride. Well worth the price I think.

Chris

You need.....

Hey Chris,

Nice talking to you today. After review of the pictures I believe you need to add the JD Air yoke to your plane. The dual bearing unit will compliment your set up nicely:D:D

Hey Chris,

Nice talking to you today. After review of the pictures I believe you need to add the JD Air yoke to your plane. The dual bearing unit will compliment your set up nicely:D:D

But then I'll need the JD fork also, right? There you go spending my money again. But hey, does it come in red? :D

Good to speak to you as well. Thanks for the quality products.

Chris

Back