What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stick length?

gladiator68

Sponsor
Hi Guys,

Just wanting to know what length you all ended up with your left side stick?

I have a Tosten grip (mounts on end of stick), and after reading all about "leaving stick full length" in other posts, I did that, but it looks way to long. Was that if you used a slide on grip?

Sure looks like I will have to cut the stick down to get the grip at the position it needs to be.

Thanks for the input.

-7 but the fuselages are the same.

Vans sure recommends leaving the stick height the same.
I’m using the Ray Allen G407F. I cut the stick down so when the grip was installed the height remained unchanged.

Don't cut anything until you have the panel and all engine controls fully installed. Then leave the total stick length (stick + grip) as long as possible without interfering with panel/controls in any direction.

Following the above guidance, you will likely need to shorten the effective length of the stick a bit depending on the height of your panel (e.g. extended vs standard height) and the placement of your engine controls.

Most stick grips slide over the control stick, like a bicycle grip. Tosten grips are different as they mount to the end of the stick, so you would cut down the stick length to accommodate the Tosten grip length.
Generally most sticks are shortened a bit so the finished length with grip installed clears the bottom of the instrument panel. I usually target at least 1” clearance as I like the skin on my knuckles.

I shortened the sticks in my -6 & -7 by several inches as I prefer the shorter length. Some prefer longer sticks, especially for agressive aerobatics which would not apply to your -9. Leave them long and see what works for you, you can easily cut them down later.

https://i.postimg.cc/529vrcrP/2353-lrg.jpg

Most stick grips slide over the control stick, like a bicycle grip. Tosten grips are different as they mount to the end of the stick, so you would cut down the stick length to accommodate the Tosten grip length.
Generally most sticks are shortened a bit so the finished length with grip installed clears the bottom of the instrument panel. I usually target at least 1” clearance as I like the skin on my knuckles.

My panel is built and about 1-1/2" deeper than stock, but still doing wiring, so I'm not quite at the point of mounting my Infinity stick grips. I tried to lay out the stick geometry (fore and aft throw from neutral position with elevator touching the stops) from the Vans drawings, but wasn't sure about it. Asked Vans but they wouldn't/couldn't tell me.

So how close does the top of the standard stick (without any grips) come to the bottom of the standard panel?

Thanks

Another difference from most other grips is the forward pistol grip angle on those Tosten units. You are pretty much on your own for stick dimensions & deflections. Wait till you get the panel mocked up in there before you cut the tube.

I just cut my co-pilot stick. I have the Tostens CS-8. My natural hand position with my seats in on the Vans stick was about 1.5" inches down from the top. I cut 7 inches off the top of the Co-Pilots stick so that my hand would rest naturally on the grip.

Right now, the top will just contact my panel in the last bit of travel, but I do not have my horizontal stabilizer or elevator attached yet. Still working n my garage so space is a little limited.

Thanks guys

Thanks for all your responses.

My assumption was true. As the Tosten grip sits on top of the stick (with it's mounting bushing) it adds about 6-7 inches to the stick.

I have the panel installed and the grip will interfere with the panel so I plan on shortening it by the length of the grip to get the proper total length/clearance.

Back