What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADAHRS-Preferred/Best Mounting Locations

What system? Dynon mounts in the wing bracket included with kit. Garmin most people mount AHRS on the back of the PFD and the magnetometer in the kit wing bracket (fits Dynon or Garmin).

What system? Dynon mounts in the wing bracket included with kit. Garmin most people mount AHRS on the back of the PFD and the magnetometer in the kit wing bracket (fits Dynon or Garmin).

Dynon. I didn't know Dynon supplied a wing bracket. Cool. Thanks.
S

Garmin discourages the PFD mount location, recommending a more solid (sub panel?) location, though Van's demo planes use the PFD mount. I used the PFD location and have periodic AHRS resets that Garmin attributes to vibration.

Switching over to a Dynon SV network, I just put in an SV-AHARS-200, mounted it on my -9A on the first tailcone bulkhead using the Van’s 0149 bracket. That appears to be the recommended location for the unit, as it contains the magnetometer too.

I installed a the dual SkyView ADAHRS modules in the kit provided wing mount bracket on an RV-14A. No remote magnetometer required or desired. Three years of flying and all is well.

Carl

I installed a the dual SkyView ADAHRS modules in the kit provided wing mount bracket on an RV-14A. No remote magnetometer required or desired. Three years of flying and all is well.

Carl

The wing mount bracket you mention that comes with the kit. Is that the Dynon ADAHRS kit or the 14A wing kit? Cuz my wing parts inventory doesn't seem to have an ADAHRS bracket.

The wing mount bracket you mention that comes with the kit. Is that the Dynon ADAHRS kit or the 14A wing kit? Cuz my wing parts inventory doesn't seem to have an ADAHRS bracket.

It should be in the wing kit, it was for me. If memory serves, the wing is already drilled for it as well.

Carl

QB Wings ADAHRS Mount

My QB wings have the ADAHRS mount installed. That’s the good news. Bad news is I am flummoxed as how to mount the Dynon black box. I can’t find any pics of this anywhere and instructions from Vans are minimal. There are four mounting holes in the Dynon 200 but none in the mount. I called mother and tech said the box just clips in somehow. It’s the somehow that is escaping me. Anybody have pix of how this thing attaches?

Yep, the module slides in and the retaining tab clicks in to hold it. For mounting dual modules you need the joining plate designed just for this. Really a nice, clean solution.

Carl

Yep, the module slides in and the retaining tab clicks in to hold it. For mounting dual modules you need the joining plate designed just for this. Really a nice, clean solution.

Carl

Carl,

I guess I need a picture. It is not obvious to me how the module slides in and is retained by the tab. Here is what I see through the service window from the leading edge looking aft. It's kinda dark. I hope you can see what I see.

ADAHRS Mount.jpg

ADAHRS in RV14 tailcone by Synergy

Synergy tells me they install the ADAHRS in the tailcone. They QB my wings and left the in-wing ADAHRS mount out. I would like to see a photo of a Synergy built tailcone ADHARS install. Anyone out there got a photo to share?

Just an FYI from G3X IM if you're using Garmin ADAHRS:

The GSU 25 should be mounted within 13 feet (4.0 meters) longitudinally and 6.5 feet (2.0 meters) laterally of the aircraft CG (center of gravity). In cases where the longitudinal distance from the CG is planned to be greater than 6.5 feet (2.0 meters), it is preferable to mount the GSU 25 forward of the aircraft CG if possible, to enable better acceleration outputs for autopilot use.

Back