What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How useful is this tool?

Hmmm....Not sure a person can have too many tools....but looking at this, I'm not sure I would use it for anything. It is hard steel you are drilling and your next major expense will be drill bits..... IMHO.....

Not a must-have by any means. For the few times I needed a drilled bolt that didn’t come in the kit I just purchased them from ACS. I Would rather spend the money on fuel.

Erich

A nice to have but not necessary if you have the proper bolt to begin with. Van's kits supply the proper bolts, so you should be good to go without the tool. I built an RV-8 and never had to drill a safety wire hole in a bolt.

Chris

In a pinch I have drilled a few bolts but you are probably gonna break a drill bit or two. Hopefully the broken piece is removable. Its not a bad idea to stock a few common sized AN drilled bolts in your bolt bins.

Drilling bolts

I’m on the other side of this one. I have the bolt drill jig, and I’m glad I do. I use it every once in a while. My current RV-14A build is my second aircraft build, plus a set of floats. With maintenance and upkeep, you will need a bolt from time to time, sometimes a drilled bolt. It’s a useful tool that I use occasionally and when I do it saves me time and shipping costs that would have been needed otherwise. The biggest thing is that it lets you keep moving on your project without waiting on an order. Just remember to put a drop of corrosion protection in the hole, as it disturbs the cad plating. I use this jig with a drill press and have not had problems with broken bits.

It is true that your kit has all the AN bolts spec’d in the plans. But not all the bolts you will ever need. Best practice is not to reuse bolts after they have been torqued. So disassembly of a structure (once completed) will prompt a new hardware need.... and you will end up needing your own stock at some point.

Just my 2 cents

Got the email today from ATS for the Safety wire drill guide which is on sale. How useful or necessary is this tool in the building of an RV? Is it worth the $56?

https://aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=6061B

Not essential, plus less expensive tools are available. See

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=2952

FYI, the owner of Pegasus built a RV-9A. Best to use Cobalt drill bits for this job. FYI, I recommend Cobalt drill bits for everything. They cost double compared to High Speed Steel bits. However, you can easily drill grade 8 bolts with them. Best of all, they stay sharp 5 times longer when drilling 2024-T3 aluminum.

Charlie K
PS Also check Amazon & eBay for less expensive drill jigs.

Back