What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Edna Becker (my mother-in-law)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Rest In Peace Mrs. Edna Becker

...the best mother-in-law a son-in-law could want. She was so kind and loving, a faithful servant of the Lord, and she brought the love of my life into this world. dr

VAFDR_01%20Nov.%2015%2020.35.jpg

May 11, 1925 - Nov. 12, 2021

Edna Becker, 96, of Waco, passed away November 12, 2021, in the presence of family at Providence Hospital. The viewing and rosary will be held at 6 p.m., November 15, at Wilkirson-Hatch-Bailey Funeral Home. Funeral mass will take place at 10 a.m., November 16, at St. Catherine's Chapel, followed by the burial at Waco Memorial Park Cemetery.

Edna was born May 11, 1925, in Westphalia, Texas. She was preceded in death by her high school sweetheart and beloved husband of 56 years, Fred Becker. Edna received her nursing degree in 1945, the couple married in 1946, and after Fred's service in the Marines and several moves within Texas and Louisiana, they settled in Waco in 1957 to raise their family. Edna and Fred loved to travel, often celebrating anniversaries with train adventures, and were entrepreneurs several times over.

Edna is survived by her four children, Dr. Gary Becker and his wife, Jeanne, of Waco; Dr. Sandra Becker and her husband, Dr. Stephen Ryan, of Paoli, PA; Dr. Patricia Becker, wife of the late Dr. Richard Jurek, of San Marcos; and Susan Reeves and her husband, Doug, of Dallas. Edna is also survived by her 13 grandchildren and 19 great-grandchildren, who refer to her alternately as "Grandma" or "Mema." Edna called her life as a stay-at-home mom, grandmother, and great-grandmother her "greatest vocation."

Edna is known for having a special spark of positivity and humor, and a deep and abiding faith. She will be remembered for her love for others that she exhibited in many ways, especially through her years of volunteer work at Providence Hospital, visiting nursing home residents, and her always-punctual birthday cards to her family and friends. Her green thumb was second to none - she nurtured a variety of roses and was active in the Waco Garden Club. Much to her family's delight, she played both the harmonica and the accordion - which she learned from her father as a young girl - well into her nineties, and her Thanksgiving stuffing, German chocolate cake, and fruit cobbler are legendary. Edna was a huge Baylor sports fan (Go Lady Bears!) and organized her schedule around game viewings. She loved music and dancing, and traveled near and far to attend the graduations, baptisms, and weddings of family and friends.

In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to the Westphalia Church of the Visitation rebuilding fund (https://abundant.co/cofvwestphalia/give) and Providence Hospital of Waco.

The family invites you to share a message or memory on our "Tribute Wall" at www.WHBfamily.com

Last edited:
Deepest condolences

My deepest condolences to you, your wife, and the entire family on the passing of Mrs. Becker, the family matriarch. May you all be comforted by the loving memories you created together over the years.

Sending our condolences Doug and family. Sounds like she was a wonderful person. Lots of Doctors in your family DR!

Thoughts and prayers to Susie, you and family Doug. It sounds as though your mother-in-law had a good life and was surrounded by a loving family.

All the best my friend,

Chris

My deepest condolences Doug, Susie and family for your loss. What a wonderful woman who lived a rich and full life. Thank you for sharing a little of her story with us.

Doug,
What a beautiful write-up of unforgettable memories of a rich and beautiful life. Thinking of you and family and may the good memories carry you through.
Johan

Mother in Law

Doug,
Prays for your family!
Sorry for your loss.
You were lucky....I could never get anyone from that generation close to getting in my plane.
RIP Edna Becker

Prayer light set to bright/flash

Doug,
I know Susie must be taking her Mom’s loss hard, but she is surrounded by friends who pray for her peace. I remember how much you enjoyed taking Edna flying, and how she enjoyed being your copilot.
Rest In Peace Edna.

Back