What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

who does RV-14 transition training ??

jeffw@sc47

Well Known Member
About a year ago the preliminary advice I got back from insurance agents was that the underwriters would accept transition training for RV-14's was acceptable if the training were done in a similar undercarriage configuration RV type (tricycle or tail) and close to same horsepower and same propeller type.

Now that I am actively pursuing insurance coverage for first flight - the underwriters are coming back with wanting transition training in an RV-14 (of same configuration).

Are there any other than Mike Seager in Oregon or Joe Czachorowski (Zack) in New Garden PA available for RV-14 transition training?

Last edited:
Athe underwriters are coming back with wanting transition training in an RV-14 (of same configuration).
I am not surprised. They almost never accept a RV "A" model for a Tail Wheel RV. RV14 also can handle a pumped up IO390 in a metal C/S prop. It is heavier plane than a RV6 or RV6A with 160HP and wood prop. All RV's fly similarly (great) but it would be difference. I'm a CFI and do transition training but can't help right now... too busy with WORK. :eek:

So your have not flown your RV14 yet? I know some underwriters don't even cover Phase 1. No need to confess anything here just curious. Even if I was local and had time I could not give transition training in a Phase 1 plane. HOWEVER I could fly with you as extra crew as allowed now. It would not be training of any kind.

You know about a LODA? You need to apply for that if you get training in your RV. Good luck, it will work out, might be a little more hassle and time and money... but worth it.

Don't know how much TW time and total high performance hours. I would look at this transition training as very important to safety and not just a box check. Don't short cut it. All the best.

Last edited:
Back