What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator recommendations.

I have used the 14158 on both my planes with good success (800 & 200 hours). Correct rotation, 50 amps and externally regulated. Pulley size is optimized for the smaller lycoming flywheels, but RPMs should still be within range for larger pulley flywheels. If you cross match the ND number, you will find a unit remanufactured by ND for about $70 at summit racing or rock auto. That should provide greater reliability than the general aftermarket rebuilds, as true OEM parts are used. IMHO, externally regulated alt's are more reliable. ND alaternators are about the most reliable out there.

Given what I have seen here on this forum, I would NOT purchase a PP alternator. Far too many posts with failures unde 200 hours. Some posters have even seen multiple failures.

Last edited:
Q 4 Larry @ LR172 or anyone else in the know, my local auto parts guys here in Canada are great to dig up parts but they tell me they need a vehicle to cross reference any Nippon Denso Alternators to, I would really like to have a spare around and would like to find a new one for my current project, any ideas would be appreciated,

Q 4 Larry @ LR172 or anyone else in the know, my local auto parts guys here in Canada are great to dig up parts but they tell me they need a vehicle to cross reference any Nippon Denso Alternators to, I would really like to have a spare around and would like to find a new one for my current project, any ideas would be appreciated,

1983 Honda Civic? That was the hit I got for the 14158. No experience with that unit.

alternators can be found easily by the Lester number (e.g. 14158) Most auto parts stores will actually have the lester # as the part number. Modern day counter guys or gals seem to really struggle finding parts any other way than year make model, but the internet can help (I found a detailed Lester list that identified each one by mfg, rotation, output, plug orientation, etc.) Just too dependent on technology. I remember being a teenager working at a food food joint that had a manual cash register, where you had to make change calculations in your head. We would occasionally hire a kid from McDonalds, that had electronic registers that computed change for any given amount. Those folks would just stand there staring at the cash drawer with the strangest look and over half quit the same day.

Last edited:
Which mounting configuration for the B&C for the IO-540?

FK5402-1 should be the one you want,,,I used that on my RV-10 and also on my RV-9A. You won't be disappointed in their products, or their support.

Back