What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G5 weird issue

olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I sent this same message to the G3Experts but thought I’d check with the forum as well.

I have been flying my buddy’s RV-8 with a G3X system and a G5 with a backup battery. The G5 did an odd thing and I don’t see anything in the manual that addresses this problem. With all switches off the white backlighting around the power button and the control knob is constantly lit with no power applied to the airplane. All switches are off and the G5 will not power up with the avionics switch as it used to. Pressing the power button on the G5 has no effect and the G5 has a blank screen.

I wonder if the backup battery is faulty and is somehow blocking main bus power from powering up the G5. Or could it be the G5 itself? Pictures below

Last edited:
Apply aircraft power as normal, then press and hold the power button on the G5 until it resets and powers up.

After this soft reset, it should behave normally and power on/off with aircraft power.

Steve

Sorry to tag on (and thanks for the reset tip), but V6.76 is the most current software I can find for a stand alone Experimental G5. Is V7.10 only available as a push from a G3X?

G5 Software Udpate

Sorry to tag on (and thanks for the reset tip), but V6.76 is the most current software I can find for a stand alone Experimental G5. Is V7.10 only available as a push from a G3X?

That is correct. For the time being, software version 7.10 is only available via G3X Touch software updates. We will have updated G5 software available for standalone installations soon, and will make an announcement here when it is posted.

Thanks,

Justin

Back