What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Parking Brake Rebuild

rcsilvmac

Well Known Member
I have a Cleveland Parking Brake on my RV-6A. It is leaking at the top cylinder so I purchased some o-rings in an attempt to rebuild it. My question is how is it attached to the bulkhead?

I looked through the plans and couldn't see how the brake mechanism is attached. My plane has carpet installed on the bulkhead and I would prefer not to tear it all out to figure out how the brake system is mounted if I don't have to. I tried searching through the forums here and couldn't find any discussion related to removal of this system.

Anyone who has done this before me, guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks - Chris

Add on

Parking brake is an add on item and requires the builder to come up with their own ideas of how to install it. Good luck!

If you could post a picture we may be able to help figure it out.

Going from memory, there are two 3/16” holes to mount the parking brake valve.

Builder would use two AN-3 bolts and could have plate nuts or nuts to mount it.

Thanks

Thanks - sounds like I need to pull the carpet. I looked on the firewall under the cowling and there were no obvious nut plates. Once I get it apart I will take some pics for future reference.

solution to leaks

On my 1990 RV-6 plans there are complete instructions for installing the E brake system.
If it leaks one needs to disassemble the little sucker and then find the proper Nytril O-rings.
I have an O-ring assortment to pick from that has never failed me.
I actually have never had mine apart so can't tell you if they are O-rings, quad rings, or lip seals.
have fun rebuilding Art

If you have the newer Matco (Parker) split style rotating parking brake valve, it is prone to leaks at the split joint if the mounting screws are not torqued properly and evenly, or mounted without the rubber washers. Not saying thats where your leak is, but it is a possibility. I had so many problems with mine on my RV-10 that I removed it and replaced it with the older single block style. No matter what I did, it would shortly start dribbling at the split where the shaft passes through the blocks. On my RV-9A, I was able to find a NOS single block valve and am using that.

"On my 1990 RV-6 plans there are complete instructions for installing the E brake system."

Art, I am no expert in reading RV plans (but I am getting better) - this was what I could find - and nothing shows the parking brake and attachment. If you have a pic from your plans I would love to see it.

David - I have Cleveland Parking Brake. I have looked at the breakout and hopefully have purchased the correct o-rings to replace.

Will get back to it this weekend and let everyone know progress.

Thanks - Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0081.jpg
    IMG_0081.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 86
Cleveland brake

My friend has been looking at the RV aircraft. He is paraplegic, no feeling in his feet. Is there a way to make a device to apply brake pressure individually to steer left or right brakes. Thanks. John

E-brake pictures

OK so I can't find the plan picture so I took some of the actual install.
Hope these help.' Art

Attachments

• IMG_0404.jpg
    IMG_0404.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0405.jpg
    IMG_0405.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0407.jpg