What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

$19 Interior lighting system

DCBrown198

Patron
Until now the only light-producing sources in my RV-10 were the two Dynon HDX displays and the Garmin 175. When I flew at night I kept my flashlight (or Iphone) nearby in case i needed to illuminate the panel to locate a switch. I could operate almost everything at night from the Dynon displays, except for landing light switches, etc.

After some thought I've decided to forgo any permanently mounted instrument panel lighting, and will go with this. I've tested it and it works great.

Reminds me of some of the older GA aircraft that had lights on flexible shafts. I clip this to the panel edge, or center post. Just whip it out from the seat back when needed and voila. Fantastic. So glad that I did not install permanent panel lighting.

David

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B12TR9GR?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Attachments

• light.pdf
    146.3 KB · Views: 142
I used something similar on my 6. Some cheap Harbor Freight magnetic base LED lamps on flexible cables (that turned out to be CATV cable) and used watch batteries. I cut off the base and shoved the foot or so of flex cable back into the lightning holes on the canopy sides so the "bullet" was just in the first hole.
Worked great, not too bright.
Back far enough and high enough to flood the panel if needed and could be flexed to aim or pulled out entirely if needed.
I would be surprised if I had $15 in them.

You can see one in the bottom of this photo.

Attachments

• 100_4254.jpg
    100_4254.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 214
Dave,
I see that the light has a dimmer. Are you able to reduce the light output so it is very dim?

It dims down considerably. My panel is brown, absorbing most of the LED light in the dim setting. The full dim setting is too dim for me. I have to use a mid setting.

If your panel is white, or glossy it might show more.

Got it on Amazon, with a free return if needed. Try it...nothing to lose if unsatisfied. :)

Back