What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Empennage time VS QB Fuselage and QB Wings

Working on my empennage and it's going quite well, I'm two months in and working consistently but not every day. I have the Rudder, vertical done and the horizontal skin is getting final riveted this week. This is my second airplane build, first was a Kitfox s7 912is that I still LOVE and fly very actively. That build took me 10 months working 70ish hours a week. This build I'm intending to do a lot slower and putting in 30-50% of that time a week.

I have the QB wings and QB fuselage on order and am curious the time input for these kits relative to the empennage. I've searched and seen some of the posts on build time but I know it's all relative to builder experience etc. So I want to get a relative gauge here so I can better plan avionics and engine purchases and the need for more hanger space, if possible.

Not including engine, avionics... Relative to the empennage how time consuming were the QB kits?

QB wings are done pretty quickly. Someone at Van’s said they “could do a wing in a week.” Probably took me a month each, but still pretty quick. The fuselage took quite a bit longer. I probably spent a month or more on just the canopy. :rolleyes: It took me almost 3 years to finish everything as a first time builder. Some folks have done everything in a little over a year! YMMV

thanks for the response and looking forward to see what others say.

I'm aiming for a similar timeline, mostly due to lead times. I'm fairly certain I will finish the tail kit well before I can get my hands on another kit.

Acrylic is an intimidating step, I put it off for a while on the Kitfox and even though I took my time it isn't as perfect as I would like, but no one will ever know where the mistakes are ;-)

I'm been going through the manual on the QB Wing as mine is to be here anytime now. What's left is; Landing light/lens, fuel sender, tank retest, wiring, gap fairings, aileron actuation sys, and the wing tip/lights. ~ 60-80 hrs is my guess.

Don’t forget the bottom skin. :rolleyes: Also, you might want to take some extra time to install your wingtips using hinges. Makes removing and installing much faster, and I think provides a cleaner look. Kitplanes had good instructions some years ago. :cool:

I took the Empennage building class at Synergy. There you do it in a week. It is a slow build kit. They said that the other Quick Build Kits also took about a week to complete. That is with their tools, help and experiance, but that tells me how ever long the Empennage takes you is how long the other QB kits will each take you...

I took the Empennage building class at Synergy. There you do it in a week. It is a slow build kit. They said that the other Quick Build Kits also took about a week to complete. That is with their tools, help and experiance, but that tells me how ever long the Empennage takes you is how long the other QB kits will each take you...

Do I understand this correctly that they say they can do the airframe in 3 weeks time?

All super helpful feedback. Budgeting about the same time for non-qb empennage vs qb wing, qb fuselage is the relative scale I was looking for. The wing kit sounds really straight forward!

Ill say riveting the HS has been super fun. Should have it closed up and hung in storage soon!

Back