What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tilt canopy handle for -14

Gentlemen,

The handle run is now officially complete. Everyone who initially requested one has either received it, or been notified that it is complete and ready to ship. Most who asked to be added to a 'second run' list also got one, as QC losses were very light, and I had enough for most who joined the conversation a little later.

Many were very patient and I am quite appreciative of the understanding offered as I worked though the production run.

The number of folks who expressed interest, encouragement and support in the project is a little overwhelming, and most definitely humbling. I ended up making many many more handles than I had initially expected based on John's prior run.

One thing I have learned here is that there is likely to be an ongoing place for these handles. I am working on plans for ways to continue to provide for this. I will post up here when I have full details to share.

-Dan

If anyone is interested in getting on the list for handle run #2, PM me and I'll add you to the list.

Thanks a lot for making these Dan! For anyone building a 14, these handles are a must have. Dan does a fantastic job making these and for the little bit he charges for them, it’s a no brainer to incorporate one in your build. Thanks again Dan for these beautiful custom canopy handles.

Got my gun metal handle today

As everyone has already opined, these handles are fabulous, Dan made mine with a gun metal finish and it looks great. Any and every RV-14 builder should buy one, bling is 110% better than stock. Kudos to Dan for taking this on for the larger community...

Red Powder Coat

Received the beautiful red powder coat handle with pre-drilled holes, thank you Dan. The kitchen scale specified 249g. Dan was wonderful to work with.

RV-14 Handle Available

SOLD Folks, I purchased one of Dan’s handles a few weeks back. I have had a change of strategy and no longer need the handle. It has been powder coated in gun metal. Looks great and is a must have upgrade for the RV-14. Not looking to make any money, asking what I paid for it, $170 plus shipping. PM me if interested.

Last edited:
Nylon handle in black

I finally mounted my Nylon 6/10 3D printed handle. I decided to dye mine black. Here's a pic:
IMG_0994.jpg

I finally mounted my Nylon 6/10 3D printed handle. I decided to dye mine black. Here's a pic:
View attachment 41964

Looks nice John. When you say 'dye' it black, you mean you had it printed using black nylon material, right? Is nylon 6/10 UV resistant? Looking at info online, nylon in general doesn't have great UV resistance, although there are 'additives' that can make it better. My concern is if the handle surface degrades over time ('chalking') due to UV, it would be a bit tricky to paint it later once the canopy is attached to the frame.

dye

Hi Mark,
I meant dye. All the handles were printed grey but you can dye them using good old rit fabric dye. It goes deep into the material so it won't wear off. I'll look into the UV properties of this particular material and report back. Worst case, I'll drill out the rivets and replace it with one of Dan's handles;)

UV Stability of PA 12 (nylon)

Here's a chart that shows degradation of strength over time.
My take away is that if you leave your aircraft outside without a canopy cover It will loose about 40% of it's strength after about 400 hours.
If you want to study the test report you can find it here.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiyhayUxN7-AhXCAjQIHd7xAdIQFnoECBgQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.3dees.cz%2Fimages%2Fprinters%2Fhp%2Fcertifikaty%2FAccelerated-Weathering-Mechanical-PropertiesHP-Multijet-Fusion-3D-printed.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3Rwdno0IB9h8-KJhNHKku0
UV stability PA12.JPG

Steve,

I can put you down for my next run. Check your PMs.

Dan

Hi Dan

Watching the discussion with interest from the UK.

I'm pondering some hooks for the headsets mounted on the rear of the rollover hoop, as another builder has done over here. I don't like the handle in the kit either.

However that suggests an idea to combine the function, and that you might consider machining, to make the handle form into a "tee" handle but with a slight upturn at the ends, wide enough to retain a headset on either side.

cheers
Ian

As the original designer of the Handle I have to say I love your idea! It would not be hard to modify the current design. Before you ask, no I'm not volunteering to do that. I'm too busy building my airplane now;)

Cheers!

RV-14 Canopy handle machining run #2

Hi,

I have had several builders contact me and ask to be put on a notify list for a second production run. Gearing up for run #2, I have made a couple of adjustments.

Adjustments to the handle design:

1) The hole pattern is now matched to the factory RV-14 handle. This will make retrofit a snap for those replacing previously installed handles.

2) To accommodate the new hole pattern, there are now 4 (rather than 3) ribs. I have tested the access provided for riveting between ribs and there is plenty of space for a squeezer.

3) I added two 1/4-20 holes to the forward side of the handle. These are designed to accept a RAM style ball stud for an action camera. But they can be used for anything, and a headset holder would also work out great there.

Adjustments to the process to get a handle:

1) I have created an entity and a web-store front to accept orders for handles.
This will provide a more efficient way to place, track, and pay for handles. (And it will also allow me to experiment with some other designs and services). Yes Doug Reeves is in the loop. He will have my advertising up shortly as I'm now an official advertiser.

The handle website is: Sloth-Works.com

2) Making handles is a family effort. My wife and boys have been part of the process all along. So if you call or email, you may get one of them. They are:

Cindy - My wife, student pilot
Otto - College sophomore engineering student, PPL
Harvey - HS senior, student pilot, future engineering major.
Hal - HS Junior - Football stud

I will be at Oshkosh this year (at least for the first half, maybe more will see...). I plan to have example handles there for inspection. Also, if anyone wants to pickup a handle from me there and save on shipping that works too.

Thanks again to all who have supported me in this new adventure. I hope it will grow into something useful and helpful for the Vans community.

Attachments

• RedWhiteBlue.jpg
    RedWhiteBlue.jpg
    498.5 KB · Views: 127
  • WetClearInCenter.jpg
    WetClearInCenter.jpg
    613.5 KB · Views: 112
Canopy handle

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay. I'm finally finalizing the billet version of the RV14 handle. I will have a prototype next week and need someone to verify the hole pattern.

When ready, I'll offer them in natural aluminum or anodized red. Don't know the pricing yet.

Sorry for the delay, life got in the way.

Back