What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

PMag via main switch or not

Tomas J

Those of you who installed PMag, have you connected them so that they get their voltage before or after the mains switch? Please justify your choice.

PMAG 3-way switch OFF-ON-(TEST)

I have my PMAGs wired to receive power with main switch on, with the PMAG switches in the "Off" position. the ignition "On" position maintains 12v, but un-kills the PMAGs. then the Test position removes 12v but keeps the ignition un-killed.

I've attached my wiring diagram to show switch positions to show how things are connected. The "Test" position is a momentary position and the switch will return to center.

Screenshot 2023-02-07 at 10.35.45 AM.png

Those of you who installed PMag, have you connected them so that they get their voltage before or after the mains switch? Please justify your choice.

If before the main switch your battery will be flat before too long. The P-mags will be always powered up and will flatten the battery. Once the engine is running the P-mags will be self-sustaining so no danger from a broken/disconnected power wire. Yes, RTFM!!

Mine are powered up with the master switch. Not really sure how you would power them before that point unless you're talking about some kind of separate dedicated on off switch running straight from the battery, which could really be a recipe for disaster in a variety of ways.

It's in the installation instructions to do it that way. Here's a cut and paste from page 26 of the install manual:

Notes:
1. Battery power to ignition should switch ON with main bus.
2. “P” models - Do not switch 12/24 V supply OFF/ON except when testing the internal alternator.
MAIN BUS
3. Use p-lead to stop the ignition/engine, not the 12 V supply.
4. Idle current draw (not firing) is approx. 20ma, while max current draw (firing at max rpm) is approx 0.25 amps 5. When installing two (2) E-MAGs, use a separate Circuit Breaker and separate Test Switch for each unit.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I have it installed after the main switch but came to discuss it with a friend and thought it might be interesting to expand the discussion. What none of us thought about was the fact that they draw power even in non-active mode, so they must be behind a main switch. The discussion is dead!

Last edited:
Back