What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pitch servo harness sanity check

SabreFlyr

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Going to be redoing the harness on my pitch servo (WH-00118 from the Van's AP servo harness kit) to undo a bit of a tangle built in during production. I was reviewing what's in each position of the C411J connector and comparing it to what's in the C411P connector (see attached copy of Figure 2 from KAI page 56-04) in the WH-00125 common fuselage wiring harness (which I'm not using).

The figure indicates that all 12 pins in the fuselage harness connector are occupied (2 actually being from the WH-00057 tailcone harness). However, the servo harness only has 8 wires. That does, in fact, agree with figure 27-1.7 in the G3X installation manual if using local ground which the WH-00118 pitch servo harness does. Question is, if the pitch servo harness isn't going to use them, why does the fuselage harness even have unused wires running to it? One of them (pin 5) is a ground which could be used in place of the local ground. But, the other three are supposedly data lines of some sort (pins 3, 7 & 8).

Note: I don't know that it would matter at all but I AM installing the yaw servo as well. I presume that it will be controlled by the CANBUS and that power passes through from the pitch servo. The WH-00018 harness includes a connector for the yaw servo daisy chained from the pitch servo connector.

Attachments

• KAI 56-04 Garmin Autopilot Servos.jpg
    KAI 56-04 Garmin Autopilot Servos.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 99
Pitch servo harness

Hi Ray
See attached diagram of how I wired the Garmin pitch and yaw servos in my RV14. All the extra wires you have mentioned are to provide the option for Dynon servos.
I made similar alterations to the roll servo as well.

Steve

Attachments

• Right Tailcone - Servos.pdf
    234.5 KB · Views: 99
Hi Ray
See attached diagram of how I wired the Garmin pitch and yaw servos in my RV14. All the extra wires you have mentioned are to provide the option for Dynon servos.
I made similar alterations to the roll servo as well.

Steve

I'm going to have to study that a bit more later.

Just got to thinking earlier today that non-Garmin servos might just be there reason for the extra wires in the WH-00125 harness.

Thanks. I'll probably have some questions for you about your changes later.

Back