What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Technically I'm removing the crankshaft

danny

Well Known Member
It's just that the rest of the motor is connected to it. I'm bringing it to Premier in Troutdale to install a new crankshaft. Superior said they would give what Aircraft Specialties would charge to yellow tag the "old" crankshaft with forty hours on it. I'm going to try to get shipping to/from Washington state from them too since I'm guessing that can't be cheap.
Wish me luck
danny

Good luck Danny! Premier will do a great job. They did mine early last year and it's been perfect since then!

thanks

Did you get gaskets, bearings, etc from Superior? Did they fix your used crank? I know what they told me but also know what they've told others. Hoping for action. Can you tell I'm a little anxious?:eek:
BT, we talked a little about this a while back. You were parked in front of Jim Bergman's shop.
danny

Cranked

I just got my IO-360 back from AeroSport today! Haven't gotten it out of the box yet. Had the old crank returned to me in hopes Superior will ultimately come through with a buyback.
Not holding my breath...which I did all last Summer, but finally threw in the towel and bit the bullet.
( Is that enough metaphors, for ya?! ;)
Looking forward to the re-install.
Cheers.

It's just that the rest of the motor is connected to it.
danny
Ha ha. Technically you are removing the engine from the crankshaft. YEP the engine is built up around the crank shaft..... it's not like a Chevy V8. This is a great video if interested and have time. The whole EAA Webinar series with Savvy Aviation's Mike Busch is great.... He also has a great video on torqueing through case bolts... highly recommend watching that one and making sure if you have A&P doing the work they are on board and follow the Lyc manual to the letter. They are actual "stretch bolts" where you should measure stretch. But you can't so they came up with torque and lubricating the threads. There are big issues with this especially re using bolts. Do not reuse nuts.

Cylinder work and through case bolt torque traps and errors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4tzOAaNfyQ

Engine Case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY_b3KJDyFM

Last edited:
Did you get gaskets, bearings, etc from Superior?
Did they fix your used crank?

I did get the gaskets & bearings etc to do the rebuild from superior for free. That's it thus far. I have the old crank on my bench at this point. I believe they will either fix the old one if the AMOC is ever approved, or possibly pay you back the amount of the rework, but I have not been offered either at this point.

Back