What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skytec Starter 149-12LS Brushes and Rebuild

My Skytec 149-12LS starter motor just quit after 800 hours.

Disassembly revealed worn brushes.

The Skytec Service manual states that the brushes do not need serviced and are good for the “life of the unit”.
No parts available from Skytec.
Fix with credit card.

Took the brushes to the local rebuilder. Northern Mobile Electric in Canton OH.

https://www.northernmobile.com/rebuilding-services

He recognized it as a Bosch unit.
His company replacement part numbers (not Bosch) for the Skytec 149-12LS starter brushes are;

SBR-26 Brush lead assy positive
SBR-31 Brush lead assy negative

Cost about $13. Call them. They will ship.

I was also told that if someone were to ship them an entire motor, a rebuild would cost approx $100- $150 dollars depending on what it needed.

I would make it easy on yourself and tell them it’s for an airboat.

PS; The solenoid is from a Ford Crown Vic and available at O’Rileys

Last edited:
Thanks for posting….good information for all of us who have this starter. I too was curious about the Skytec statement that the parts were “good for life”.

So which way you decided to go….have that shop do the rebuild or do it yourself? Just curious…

Skytec starter

$13 is the best deal I could ever imagine.

Separately, I recently had the internal solenoid fail. $39 for a new one at Advanced Auto. Not only did it fix the problem, but I had previously experienced a slow turnover with the prop. The new solenoid solved that too!

Solenoid part number

$13 is the best deal I could ever imagine.

Separately, I recently had the internal solenoid fail. $39 for a new one at Advanced Auto. Not only did it fix the problem, but I had previously experienced a slow turnover with the prop. The new solenoid solved that too!

What is either OReilly’s or Advanced Auto Parts part number on the solenoid. I have three that needs them.

Brian

Back