What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 Viking with Cowl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avenger V

Ready to Fly, waiting on DAR
2h4dxfr.jpg

2mxil4g.jpg

Ron Russ

Last edited:
?

Ready to fly? where are those long airfoil type lifting devices that go on the sides?:eek: just kiddin, looks neat. keep us informed.

Very Nice!!

Way to go!! Looks great..

I hope this engine works well.. I bet it will!

T

Cowl fasteners

Ron, what type fastener system did you use to join cowl together and mate to fuselage?

I used Vans hinge system on the horizontal and lower cowl attach points. Had too much trouble getting the wires in on the top cowl even with 79 m wire. Ordered Skybolt 1/4 turn fastners yesterday. They are very proud of there product. Will spaced them 3" apart.

Ron Russ

Last edited:
Weight question'

Better yet can you tell us what your nose wheel weight is when you use the good race car scales?I think you will need your weight and balance done before your DAR shows up.:confused:

Weight & Balance

Colin: I don't need you to tell me what to do before my DAR inspection. My weight and balance is well within range. I will not be posting my weight spec. as I do not want to confuse the weight of my plane with the weight of the Viking engine. The empty weight of the Viking mounted on the 12 has been published on this site. That is all I have to say on this subject.
PS I passed the DAR inspection with flying colors. Ron Russ

Skybolts

I used Vans hinge system on the horizontal and lower cowl attach points. Had too much trouble getting the wires in on the top cowl even with 79 m wire. Ordered Skybolt 1/4 turn fastners yesterday. They are very proud of there product. Will spaced them 3" apart.

Ron Russ

Ron,

I put Skybolts on mine (the Van's one) and wish I had done 3 inches since there is no structure on the Van's Cowl top. I did however, run a very thick piece of carbon fiber underneath which kept things okay but not as close as I would have liked. Good luck...the Skybolts are great. Yes we will all be interested in how your "pioneer" adventure works out. Let us know for sure. Its always nice when someone else is willing to go first.

Better yet can you tell us what your nose wheel weight is when you use the good race car scales?I think you will need your weight and balance done before your DAR shows up.:confused:

That bad, huh?

Bad form, guys.

Ron has told you he doesn't wish to share weight info and that is totally his prerogative. He isn't asking you for any personal information......

Any further sniping about not releasing weight numbers will result in posts being deleted.

Who can ya trust?

If I take everything on the Viking website at face value then I have to conclude that it is far superior to Rotax in every single way. The problem is that the company's advertising is just about the only source of info and Eggenfellner himself has admitted to being a bit too "optimistic" at times. For this reason I would love to get unbiased first hand reports on things like installed weight and output. When I see that a Viking adopter is unwilling to reveal such info, I can't help but assume the worst. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

If I take everything on the Viking website at face value then I have to conclude that it is far superior to Rotax in every single way. The problem is that the company's advertising is just about the only source of info and Eggenfellner himself has admitted to being a bit too "optimistic" at times. For this reason I would love to get unbiased first hand reports on things like installed weight and output. When I see that a Viking adopter is unwilling to reveal such info, I can't help but assume the worst. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

A couple of points in regard to this discussion.

First, I don't care how much the Viking installation weighs, I'm not building an RV-12.

Second, anyone is free to assume whatever they wish concerning whatever they wish.

Third, the reason I chimed in on this matter (in which I have no skin except as a moderator) is the way some posters seem to feel they can demand that a builder submit whatever info they wish to see, and if that demand isn't met, they will respond with posts that would best be left unposted.

If I decide to withhold information about what my plane weighs, it is nobody's business regardless of whatever you say you are going to assume. The flying weight of the Viking engine will be known soon enough as installations are completed....there is no need to browbeat a particular builder into providing info he said he preferred not to state. I'm looking forward to hearing how Ron's Viking performs in the air.

There are rules concerning civility on this forum, let's do our best to conform to them. If you really want to push this matter, please do so via private messages. :)

[ed. I went ahead and closed it. Tired of the fishing around where 'the line' is. It's here.... dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back