What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Leading edge question

jflyboy

I'm working on fitting the leading edge but I cant seem to get the skin to set flush on the ribs. Both the top and bottom are out about 3/16. The plans say its supposed to be flush. My question is, How flush is flush?:confused:

Just Starting Out?

Where are you on fitting them? I drilled and clecoed the skin on the top side starting at the main spar then continued toward the leading edge. I used the ratcheting cargo straps at that point and the skin then came into intimate contact with the ribs.

as of last night I was only setting the skin on and trying to get everything to line up and set flush, today I drilled the top leading edge skin to the main spar. the plans say the skins are .050 over so i cleaned up the top edge where it butts against the top skins, set it as tight as i could and drilled it. waiting for more clecoes, from avery, to drill the ribs.

It'll Work

Make sure the ribs' segmented flanges at the very leading edge are bent 90 degrees and the skin will clamp down just fine. After you cleco the top side of the skin and strap/clamp it down to start on the bottom you should be able to see how much overlap remains. It's possible you may need to trim more than what leaves enough edge distance from the rivet row, in which case you may need to relieve the clamps slightly and deliberately induce a little gap between the rib LE and skin. The skin is very strong at the leading edge because of the geometry even if there's a small gap. It shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the skin leading edge is parallel to the spar by trimming the overlap the same amount along its length.

Back