What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hi Folks

Tharpo

I'm new to this forum, and have been working on a four fitfully for too long to remember. I'm interested in knowing if there are others going together, and at what stages,with a view toward brainpicking maybe?
Thanks in advance for any thing ya'll may want to volunteer.
Tharpo

Tharpo,

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of brains here to pick! Hope this helps your four go together!

cheers,
greg

Welcome to VAF!!!

I'm new to this forum,
Tharpo

Wow, the long lost sixth Marx brother:D

Seriously, Tom, welcome aboard the good ship VAF.

There are a lot of 4 builders here, pretty sure your questions will be addressed soon.

Enjoy!!

Welcome!

There is a wealth of knowledge on these forums, half the time you don't even need to ask ?'s. Use the search panel as most topics have been covered in depth and are stored in the archives. If you do ask you will get responses to most questions in no time.
I'm working on a 4 in my dad's garage. I'm fooling with fuel tank assembly and fitting to the wings. Where are you at in your build?

Merry Christmas,
Jay

Progress(?)

I bought an older kit several years ago with the empenage(did I spell that right?) completed. Since I have mostly completed the wings, sans control surfaces..about half done with fuel tanks, and fuselage. When the fuselage is completed, I plan to order the finish kit,unless someone out there has a deal on one?If I could afford to retire(I am old enough) I'd probably be done in no time,sigh.Been dreaming of this thing since way before there was a Vans anything, but when his models showed up.....well you know.I'm also partnered with two buddies in a four,and have been completely spoiled as to their flying qualities,but that too has at times taken me away from building.Have made fairly good progress in recent weeks,because someone told me "you'll never finish that thing", so now you also know how to motivate me,
LORD willing it will get done!
Blessings
Tharpo

This is an invaluable forum.

Hi Tharpo,
Spent this afternoon building the sheet metal box that houses my
oil cooler. Placement of the oil cooler whether on the baffle or mounted on the firewall has been debated thoroughly on this forum. Just one example of being able to look at other's opinions and photos and then make up your own mind for your airplane. Besides the classifieds the posts are dominated by non Rv 4 postings but there is a wealth of informatiion to be had by using the search function. Vans has never updated the RV4 plans to include the detail that is found on the newer kits so that makes the information available on this forum even more essential. I am just about finished with fitting my cowling. The info in the RV4 notebook and on the plans is pretty sparse to be kind. I spent alot of time searching this forum for photos and tips RE: cowling and boy did it pay off. Dan Horton's post relating to this were super helpful as well as others. Anyhow, good luck with your build
welcome to the forum.
Mark Wyss
Cincinnati
RV4
0360 A1A
Whirlwind GA
Ellison TB
Engine hung
Canopy done
Cowling fitting
Battery placed
Wiring