What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WWII Weeked! and a curious plane?!?!

jflyboy

Heres a link to the WWII Weekend site!

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

I got an early tour today. here are some pics. Are any of you guys/gals going to visit this year? It looks like the wx is going to be hot and humid! but its the north so don't worry about bugs. :)

TBM-3 "avenger
IMG_0011.jpg

B-25 "mitchell"
IMG_0003.jpg

Bad pic of a B-17 on takeoff (as if no-one knew):rolleyes:
IMG_0031.jpg

Here is my "curious plane" What is the blue one in the back?
IMG_0016.jpg

...there is NO prop! Sooo, clearly in must be some type on JET!!!:p

Right! And those big cheeks must be the air inlets for the jet - which means there is something else in the center of the cowling - a 30mm cannon maybe?

HEHE, (cheesy laugh) I was wondering how long it would take before someone noticed that the midget was prop-less. :D Yep its a midget! I zoomed way in on the pic and noticed there is a small decal in the vs that says "midget mustang" :eek: I am going to try to find the owner this weekend, see what the story is behind this jet. ;) Has there ever been a discusion as to how the midget stacks up against a RV-3?

HEHE, (cheesy laugh) I was wondering how long it would take before someone noticed that the midget was prop-less. :D Yep its a midget! I zoomed way in on the pic and noticed there is a small decal in the vs that says "midget mustang" :eek: I am going to try to find the owner this weekend, see what the story is behind this jet. ;) Has there ever been a discusion as to how the midget stacks up against a RV-3?

More "Cool" factor because of the history, but it's a taper-wing speed demon, not a all around airplane like the -3. I hope to fly/own one someday.

I'm going

jflyboy
I trained at KRDG and the airport manager was my instructor, so I go to the WII days evert year. The only difference is this year I will be going on Saturday and Not Friday. I like going on friday since less people show up then. I was at the Luau last night till about 9PM and had a blast. If anybody is going and wants to contact me call me at 717-314-3486. I'm planning to arrive at 8:30 Sat morning.:D

Wanted to go this year (for the first time), but the Air Force owns me this weekend.

On a related note, I heard something with multiple round-motors fly near my house today, around 9-10am. Beautiful sound...

midget mustang

you asked "Has there ever been a discussion as to how the midget stacks up against a RV-3"
i looked at both before deciding to buy the rv 3 plans. so far that is as far as i have gotten but oh well.:mad:. one of the main things that i saw was that it landed somewhat faster than the rv. i read somewhere that your chance of survival goes up by a huge factor when you get below a certain speed. i don't remember where i saw that or even what that speed was but i looked at their landing speeds. target speed to get below was somewhere between their two speeds.
i have heard that the mm is tight in the shoulders. just hear say.
i guess the main thing that tipped me in the direction of the 3 is this huge support community. if i ever get the thing built i will have a rv. if i only get half way i think i will be able to sell it at less of a loss. having said that i still do check the mustang page on barnstormers. there are currently 2 mm projects for sale and one rv3 project.
this is poor reason but i read somewhere that when the rv3 came out it really was the "it" plane over the mustang. maybe that was just because it was the hot new thing but i like to think that discerning people with knowledge and experience looked at both and made the better choice. i realize there is danger in following the crowd but i think often the best truths are found in consensus.
not to knock the mustang at all. i also looked at all the accident reports back 30 years and did not see any of a "wings fall off" type.
leon

Back