What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My RV-4 pics

jflyboy

Here is my "airplane" i cant wait to get it home, sorry for the sloppy pics, i got them from the fellow i bought the kit from.

39b3_11.jpg

47c0_11.jpg

3d2b_11.jpg

wow...

it actually works, i am not an technical idiot like i thought i was. here are some more pics...

4c34_11.jpg

443b_11.jpg

5008_11.jpg

can i move these pics'...

to the gerneral discussion area or the rv-4 forum? how do i do that? i believe more people will see them that way, thanks Jay

to the gerneral discussion area or the rv-4 forum? how do i do that? i believe more people will see them that way, thanks Jay

Most folks (over 90%) come into the forums through the 'Today's Posts' and 'New Posts' links. They'll see 'em in here <g>. I'll post a note on the top of VAF tonight also.

Looks awesome!

b,
dr

thanks...

I cant wait to get started and I already know I will really heavily on the vaf forums/website, espesially at first. Many thanks ahead of time for Mr. Dr and his family. Jay

kit is about 2 hrs away from my home.I checked into u-haul trailers, $29.00 for a day!! dont think thats to bad. I think i am going to wrap everything in carpet padding and cradle the wings. the wings are clecoed together but i dont want to take them apart to transport.
I do not have the serial # or builder # yet. I am leaving tommorow for a ski trip but i am trying to complete some shelves and move my "airplane table" from storage before i leave.
Just some of my thoughts on the future:

Rv-4 tail dragger tip-over;) bma lite+,garmin 496, sl-30, manuel trim maybe a dynon ems? looking into the turtle-deck(we shall see) 0-320 fixed pitch metal or composite prop(they look awesome) Wife 3 kids, nice house, 3car2airplane garage/hanger.....

IIRC, way back then the serial number was etched into the root end of the spar cap strips. At least I think mine was. You might look there for the number.

Welcome

I guess were in the same boat, just last week I told a guy that I would buy the tail and wings of a 4 that have been laying around for several years. I will be picking it up after Sun-N-Fun. Luckly it is only 45 minutes away and I have a truck. This will be my second 4, I have helped on many others including a Murphy Moose (3 years of help). I am so much looking forward to building and flying this 4.

PS. Kit # 68

You probably already know, but the U-haul 29.00 deal is most likely for in town only. They will probably charge you per mile for your 2 hour trip. Not a big deal but just so your aware.
david

I reserved a u-haul trailer 6'-12' for 29.99 all day doesn't matter how many miles i put on it as long as i return it before the next business day. I don't know how they would be able to check the mileage you put on it anyway unless they check your towing vehicles milage or installed some type of odometer on the trailer. Probably not a cheap endeaver. David thanks for the warning I called the u-haul company right away to check but its all good. saterday the 1st is still my deadline for pick-up.

It's home...

and I also got my tools! The ride home was a nervous one but everything was fine. I made my first dimples, drove/bucked my first rivets and created my first smiley:) learned how to drill out a rivet;) The garage is slowly being organized but I'm havin to much fun playing with my tools! I am amazed at the quality of the parts and hardware Vans provides. I'm going to build jigs for the wings this weekend, hopefully. Only thing I can't find is a chart which shows which drill bit size to use in conjuction with the differant rivet sizes?? anyways here are some pics of me workin on the vans practise project.

ummm this is dorky me havin bad hair day (why waste time combing hair when you can work on the airplane)
IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

Last edited:
quick lessons

J,

Drill sizes:

#40= #3 size rivets
#30= #4
#21= #5
#10= #6

That should do for starters. In the meantime I'd strongly recommend getting a copy of AC 43-13 Acceptable methods and practices. and an Aircraft mechanics handbook. Both should be quite helpful thru the entire build.

Thanks, that helps, I am going to fly down to the lancastor airport to pick up the advisory circular. I started workin on my wing jig last night. just about finished with the vans practise project. I have an avery order on the way. This is soooo cool :cool: I am still looking for some local RV guys but I havent met any yet. ttyl jay

new pics

I got to fly a G-1000 equiped 172 yesterday, the weather was awesome. I took some photos of my house, then did some slow flight and stalls, came home and finished jig'in my left wing. Thats what I call a totally cool day!!!

My House is the grey one with the white garage, and a swimming pool
IMG_1797.jpg

This is the G-1000!
IMG_1804.jpg

This is the left wing in the jig. I have to clean out the shed to fit the tractor in so i'll have more room to move around.
007.jpg

The rack I made to hold the controll surfaces; Flaps, ailerons
008.jpg

HS hung on the wall.
003.jpg

Just a view of the shop;
005.jpg

Another question...

How have you guys hung your rudder/Verticle stabilizer? I'd like to hang mine on the wall next to the HS but can't think of an easy way. later, Jay

Back