What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lightspeed delta zulu headset

DMFenster

Well Known Member
Two questions:
For those of you that have used this headset, how do you like it?

And it appears there is no hook to attach the control case. Does anyone have a workaround or perhaps a 3D printed holder?

Dave
Woodbridge, VA
RV-8

Two questions:
For those of you that have used this headset, how do you like it?

And it appears there is no hook to attach the control case. Does anyone have a workaround or perhaps a 3D printed holder?

Dave
Woodbridge, VA
RV-8

I like it, but I can’t tell much, if any, difference between it and the Zulu 3. I use both still.

The Delta Zulu has a different controller configuration than the Zulu 3. It might work. Not sure. Maybe rvplastics can chime in.

Their site says if they don't have one for your headset, they will make one for free if you send them your gear to use make a template from.

I like it, but I can’t tell much, if any, difference between it and the Zulu 3. I use both still.

ANR-wise it's updated and improved - but that might be a relatively subtle change to most people. The main differences between Zulu 3 and Delta Zulu are in the areas of flight safety, ability to compensate for hearing loss, and power sources:

• Carbon monoxide detection and audio alerts built-in, always on and working wherever you use the headset.
  • If you haven't already, be sure to use the iOS app and do the "Hearing EQity" setup to customize it for your individual hearing. If you have any hearing loss, this feature may make a real difference.
  • Comes with both lithium-ion (rechargeable) and AA battery cartridges.

And, some people may not realize it can be ordered configured with Dual-GA plugs, or with a LEMO panel-power plug. I just looked and we have a limited supply of both models in stock right now (as of when I am posting this), it appears. :)

Just thought I'd throw in a pic of Greg H. enjoying his Delta Zulu headset.

i-DcDQdqV-L.jpg

I didn't know people are actually charging a queens ransom for poorly printed 3d parts these days. I've made a set of holders for my Lightspeed PFX's. Most likely a different design than the Delta Zulu but it wouldn't take long to whip something up if you need a mounting solution.

I didn't know people are actually charging a queens ransom for poorly printed 3d parts these days.

Yup, at those prices he should be able to retire early and send the grand kids to College....

Seriously, I appreciate people who use their talent to MFG something that I can buy for relatively little $$$ and make my life easier.

-Marc

I am hearing impaired and purchased the headset this week. I will report back on how well it works.

I'm very interested in your report!
I am a hearing aid wearer. I can get by ok without them, and wearing a headset just turn up the volume a bit and more or less be fine...but the ability to tweak for better understanding looks great! I was considering Lightspeed anyway because the ear cups can fit over my aids but it might just be better to take the aids off and use a properly tuned headset!

Yup, at those prices he should be able to retire early and send the grand kids to College....

Seriously, I appreciate people who use their talent to MFG something that I can buy for relatively little $$$ and make my life easier.

-Marc

If there is some significant design time behind the product, the price can be justified. The problem I see is there are a lot of poorly designed products that have crazy high prices just to provide something that isn't commercially available for purchase.

If there is some significant design time behind the product, the price can be justified.

If somebody doesn't even understand the importance of proper layer adhesion and hasn't taken the time to address their short comings in their prints. They haven't earned the right to and charge money for anything. A good design poorly implemented is still a poor design.

Any pireps on these headsets yet? Would like to hear from those with hearing issues if they are worth it and a "gamechanger" or just fluffy advertising.

Any pireps on these headsets yet? Would like to hear from those with hearing issues if they are worth it and a "gamechanger" or just fluffy advertising.

I guess the only way to know is to expose them to C/O in the cockpit and see what happens.... :D

-Marc

Rick,
Re Pireps, I'm too am interested in the ability to tune it for various hearing impairments, and if that makes a noticeable difference in the real world.
John

Last edited:
DZ versus Z3

I have the Delta Zulu as well as the Zulu 3 and still use both of them. The DZ has a nice app for custom tuning each side individually to your ears. Although that is a nice feature, I can't honestly perceive any difference in sound quality or tell any difference with the noise cancelation. That's not to say that the technology isn't working better (it probably is) .......... just that I can't tell.

I haven't been impressed with the rechargeable battery life and end up bringing along the AA battery pack anyways. Of course, they have the wired plugs as an option assuming your plane is equipped.

The security provided by the CO2 alarm is reassuring and seems to work well in the background without any added hassles to the user.

I do like the fact that the wires go into the same side of the controller allowing a more ergonomic fit into my side panel pocket.

I'm still happy with the purchase as I needed a headset for the other side. However, If I had purchased them to replace an existing ANR headset, I'm not quite sure I'd be as pleased.

I will say that I've used Lightspeed for around a decade and been completely happy with their Warranty / Service. That's primarily why I stuck with them over the competitors this time.

I have not been able to use the headset as much as I like but so far it has been good. The hearing quality is as good as the Bose A20 I was using. I am not sure the ability to tune the frequencies makes much difference however I am a dual cochlear implant recipient and hear differently than those with normal hearing.
The headset is very comfortable and better than my A20 in that regard. The control box fits in the mount I had for the A20 but not perfect. Good enough I won’t bother to change it. As mentioned the rechargeable battery seems to not make the advertised hours. I will try and get a better feel for that going forward. Overall I like it and gave my A20 to my son.

Back