Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 09-25-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
..........The question is what's the condition of the threads in the crankshaft flange? If there's any residue in there (anti-seize, Loctite, oxidized oil, crud, etc) that could cause enough thread friction to twist off the roll pins. I'd chase the threads with a tap to clean them, using WD-40 to help remove the crud.
As I said 3 days ago and repeating it now: since you just admitted to twisting off the roll pin on DISassembly, that tells me there's something in the female threads that's acting as a threadlocker...whether that's old Loctite, rust, dried up anti-seize...whatever. Clean the threads in the crankshaft flange!

Shame on Whirlwind for not inspecting and replacing the roll pins during tear-down, but I think most of the issue here stems from gummed up female threads.

Look at OP's latest pic again below: It shows the pin sheared off from counterclockwise rotation, not tightening.

https://vansairforce.net/community/a...3&d=1664132315
Old 09-25-2022, 08:04 PM

I will look at the threads, it's quite likely that the prop will be coming off to get this resolved. I've never used loctite or anti-sieze anywhere near those threads, prop was installed dry as specified in the manual. I'll clean them in any case.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here
Old 09-26-2022, 06:51 AM

My WW 300 series manual called out to use 65 ft lbs and Locktite 242 or 271. Hopefully not going to be an issue removing next time.
RV-14A QB builds (2017), Lycoming 390 Thunderbolt arrived July 2019, Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 300-72, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, Parts became real airplane 8/15/2020. Started RV-10 Nov 2020. Empennage arrived (Built) Working on QB kits. Garmin avionics, Vertical Power, EFII-32 Ignition and Fuel, Whirlwind 3 blade HRT 378, Earth-X batteries, Beringer wheels and brakes, real airplane hopefully early-mid 2024. Paid subscriber
Old 09-26-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post

Look at OP's latest pic again below: It shows the pin sheared off from counterclockwise rotation, not tightening.
I did and we clearly see different things. I see that the pin was 50% sheared off and bent during the clockwise tightening operation. (Sheared portion is on the left side. The right side has a raised portion above the threads You can even see where one of the threads left an indentation in the remaining pin and the shearing left a very smooth surface, unlike a fracture). THEN during the loosening operation the now compromised pin was pushed in the opposite direction and snapped off. Look at the shape of the remaining pin. It looks just like how a tree is felled. You cut the large notch and the tree still stands. Start compromising the remaining portion and it snaps like a twig.

Nothing wrong with different opinions. It's all moot anyways as it has to be replaced. I do agree that too much force was applied to the pin and that pin having been installed incorrectly only made it worse. I know you disagree with that as well, but the pin manufacturers recommendation is clear.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 09-26-2022 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:26 PM

Just heard back from Whirlwind. They are sending me new nuts and roll pins. He also provided instructions on removing the pins - nut and washer to tightly secure the nut and drive out the roll pin with a #4 (1/8") punch. Doesn't sound too difficult.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT

Old 09-27-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
Just heard back from Whirlwind. They are sending me new nuts and roll pins. He also provided instructions on removing the pins - nut and washer to tightly secure the nut and drive out the roll pin with a #4 (1/8") punch. Doesn't sound too difficult.
They might be pretty difficult to drive out once sheared. Perhaps you can grab the open end with needlenose pliers and twist/pull to pull each half out. It may take several different techniques in combination.
IO-360 A1A
WW 200RV
"The Magic Carpet" Flying since Sept. 2009
Hobbs 725
also
1/4 share in 1959 C-182B (tow plane)
LS6-15/18W sailplane SOLD
bought my old LS6-A back!!
VAF donation Dec 2021
Old 10-23-2022, 03:30 PM

Time for an update on this still unresolved issue.

I worked with my engine builder to try and replace the roll pins and were unable to get the roll pins out despite a lot of effort and some broken punches. The pins are all compromised with Z shaped shear. The only option we see remaining is cutting off the bolt assemblies and rebuilding them. I've requested the bolt parts from WhirlWind Aviation. Dave (my mechanic/engine builder) is confident he'll be able to safely cut off the bolts and assembling the bolts from new parts should be straightforward.

I'm getting quite impatient, I'd hoped to get back in the air by now, I've been down for nearly 4 months after shoulder surgery. I'm healed up and ready to go, but I need my prop.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT

Old 11-20-2022, 12:40 PM

Default another update

I can now officially recommend not buying from Whirlwind Aviation. I got the new studs and my engine builder went to rebuild the bolt assemblies and they sent the wrong size studs (and nuts and roll pins). 1/2" instead of the 7/16" that I use. This gong show has now cost me 2 months of AOG and all of it because they didn't do the work they were supposed to when they had it in the shop. I'm happy with the prop, but not remotely close to happy with the service.
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT

Old 11-21-2022, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
I can now officially recommend not buying from Whirlwind Aviation. I got the new studs and my engine builder went to rebuild the bolt assemblies and they sent the wrong size studs (and nuts and roll pins). 1/2" instead of the 7/16" that I use. This gong show has now cost me 2 months of AOG and all of it because they didn't do the work they were supposed to when they had it in the shop. I'm happy with the prop, but not remotely close to happy with the service.
You're not the only one that isn't happy with their customer service this year.