camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
..........The question is what's the condition of the threads in the crankshaft flange? If there's any residue in there (anti-seize, Loctite, oxidized oil, crud, etc) that could cause enough thread friction to twist off the roll pins. I'd chase the threads with a tap to clean them, using WD-40 to help remove the crud.
As I said 3 days ago and repeating it now: since you just admitted to twisting off the roll pin on DISassembly, that tells me there's something in the female threads that's acting as a threadlocker...whether that's old Loctite, rust, dried up anti-seize...whatever. Clean the threads in the crankshaft flange!

Shame on Whirlwind for not inspecting and replacing the roll pins during tear-down, but I think most of the issue here stems from gummed up female threads.

Look at OP's latest pic again below: It shows the pin sheared off from counterclockwise rotation, not tightening.

https://vansairforce.net/community/a...3&d=1664132315