What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Broken Right Rear Canopy Corner RV7A

Tcheairs

Well Known Member
view

Hamfisted me broke the right rear corner of my flip up canopy on my RV7A. Above is a link to a photo of the situation because I don't know how to insert a photo in this forum. The residue you see is my attempt to repair with epoxy (which did not work).

I was thinking of repairing it with an overlay of polished sheet metal. Does anyone have a better idea. Some glue may have to be used in the process as I am not sure how I would be able to attach it with screws due to the countersunk screws that are used to attach the rear of the canopy to the "roll bar"...I am told that epoxy will not work with plexiglass and that Super Glue will..

Thanks

Last edited:
Ouch!!! That's an unfortunate one. If it was me I would look to bond the broken part back on and then overlay the entire rear of the tipper canopy with a thin aluminium strip that covers the back 1-2 inches and has a small overlap of the rear section of the canopy. I think some people refer to this as a Targa Strip but I may be wrong. The advantage as I see it is that it firstly reinforces the repair, and secondly covers the rear 1-2 inches of the tipper providing better aesthetics and protecting it from further whoopsies.

There are others on VAF that are much more knowledgeable than I and I'm sure there are other options too. Good luck.

it makes me wonder if I could print a repair part for that. attach at the two lower screws. use clear polycarbonate material.

Last edited:
Yes, I was going to cover the left side identical to the right side so that the look made sense. A "targa" to go all the way across would be nice, but there's still the problem of how to countersink the tiny screws that hold it on..don't want "pan heads" sticking up in the windstream across the bow of the canopy..every connector screw, rivet whatever on this airplane was beautifully flush mounted (countersunk) by the builder..

Sshhhh...I hope he doesn't see this post.

Last edited:
I've seen at least 3 tip up trailing edges repaired by overlaying with fiberglass. It looks good, fits perfectly and stiffens the canopy against lateral movement.

Sure would like to see a photo or talk with someone who has done the fiberglass overlay..sounds like the best fix..I'd have to have that done..I'm not much of a "glass man"..

If you are in Covington TN the Jetguys at Covington airport can assist with glass work - they are experts

Same Damage

I had the exact same damage on my canopy. I laid up the targa strip. I'm a novice at fiberglass, but this was easy.

I masked off the canopy with good electrical tape, then went over that with clear packing tape so the fiberglass would release.

Cut strips of glass, wetted them and laid out the thickness I wanted. I ran the ends long and after it was cured, trimmed to fit.

After painting. I attached the targa to the canopy with silicone and three countersunk screws.

Attachments

• 20210912_115349.jpg
    20210912_115349.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 20210912_115342.jpg
    20210912_115342.jpg
    314.7 KB · Views: 218
Fiberglass

Sure would like to see a photo or talk with someone who has done the fiberglass overlay..sounds like the best fix..I'd have to have that done..I'm not much of a "glass man"..

I just had an article published in Kitplanes on that very subject.
October 2021

A friend of mine had the same damage. He ordered a sheet metal strip from Van's that covers the roll bar. Looks great! You might think about installing canopy guide blocks (Anti-splat, if I remember correctly).

Very nice! I hope to stay away from painting..will probably fabricate a polished SS targa..Or just SS "swoop" patches on BOTH corners. Screw hole locations with make a template.

Anyone out there used thin gauge stainless to make a Targa?

Last edited:
Same thing

I bought an RV 7a that has the same crack. Tried to use Weld-on 3, but it did not hold. Looking forward to some more details on a solution. Kind of like a corner triangle solution rather than a big strip. But, should probably read Larry’s article.

Last edited:
I bought an RV 7a that has the same crack. Tried to use Loctite, but it did not hold. Looking forward to some more details on a solution. Kind of like a corner triangle solution rather than a big strip. But, should probably read Larry’s article.

Isn't Loctite advised against as it causes crazing?

I bought an RV 7a that has the same crack. Tried to use Loctite, but it did not hold. Looking forward to some more details on a solution. Kind of like a corner triangle solution rather than a big strip. But, should probably read Larry’s article.

I also broke the corner on my 7 tipper. Bought some Weld On 3 and glued it back together. I then made a small rectangle of scrap canopy cutoff which overlapped the crack by an inch or so. I bevelled the top and front edges and glued it on the outside using Weld On 16 (heavier). Did both sides so it looked the same. Not as nice looking as the targa but functional and not too visible. I then installed Buller Enterprises canopy guides placed about 1 1/2" above the rail since I thought they were too short. The guides help keep the canopy corners from hitting the roll bar due to canopy twist when closing. Been there 4 years and all ok so far.

Maybe Steve could print guides that are about 4" long as the ones Buller makes are too short. I did mention it to Buller but they didn't change the design.

maybe a clear polycarbonate patch for temporary use. a targa strip would be look better for the long run.

match the shape of the broken piece. just thinking outloud, I don't know if this would work.

patch.png

Ouch!!! That's an unfortunate one. If it was me I would look to bond the broken part back on and then overlay the entire rear of the tipper canopy with a thin aluminium strip that covers the back 1-2 inches and has a small overlap of the rear section of the canopy. I think some people refer to this as a Targa Strip but I may be wrong. The advantage as I see it is that it firstly reinforces the repair, and secondly covers the rear 1-2 inches of the tipper providing better aesthetics and protecting it from further whoopsies.

There are others on VAF that are much more knowledgeable than I and I'm sure there are other options too. Good luck.

Yes, Targa strip. I built a second canopy to get the fit perfect before paint & intentionally added the metal (Porsche) Targa strip of .032 aluminum. Looks great, and keeps water out when the canopy is closed. Easy to fabricate & install. Helps to have a metal cutting shear to cut the strip.
Waldo%27s%20RV7A.JPG

Targa strip

Targa strip is pretty easy layup. It would take longer to mask off the parts. An auto painter can paint the strip then you bond it or rivet in place. Beauty of a layup is it conforms perfectly.

Tippers Tip

This thread is a good warning to builders and those bought flying.

1. Install guides for the latches
2. Ensure that the canopy has a good gap between that corner and the angle brace just below it. This way when it slams shut (eventually) it won't bounce and become the stop.
3. Consider installing small rubber stops under the rail to maintain the 1/2" gap and to become a (nearly) hard stop for closure.

I had my canopy open in the garage with the door closed and forgot to close it when opening the garage door. I heard a sickening thump when the canopy was pushed over the tip point and self closed. Luckily (super lucky) I had both the stops and clearance allowance. There was no damage or scratch to the canopy.

view

Hamfisted me broke the right rear corner of my flip up canopy on my RV7A. Above is a link to a photo of the situation because I don't know how to insert a photo in this forum.
Thanks

Link not working? Says photo Preview not available, File is on owners trash.

Good luck with repair...

Is there an epoxy or fastener where I can glue/fasten in place that someone can recommend?
You may want to start a new thread and say what you are asking to bond or fasten. Cheers

Back